Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

low beams dont work

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 PM
THAGOLDENB is on a distinguished road
Default low beams dont work

I have a 1979 Chevy blazer and my low beams don't work. Only the high beams will come on when i press the dimmer switch and then to switch back to low beam theres no light. Dimmer switch is also new by the way. Has anybody else had this problem? If so any input would be great!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tested for power on the tan wire at the headlights? If you do not have power there, then the next thing to do is test continuity to the dimmer switch. I'm betting that there is a break in the wire from the dimmer switch to the driver side headlight.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Default Checking for power

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have you tested for power on the tan wire at the headlights? If you do not have power there, then the next thing to do is test continuity to the dimmer switch. I'm betting that there is a break in the wire from the dimmer switch to the driver side headlight.

I have not yet tested for power on the tan wire. How do I exactly test to see if I have power? Do I turn headlights on to low beam and check by using a volt meter on the tan wire? And do I check both sides?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Headlights on low beam and use a multimeter. The wire goes from the dimmer switch to the driver side headlight then over to the passenger side headlight. You do not need to test at both locations since neither light works, but you can test it.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Default What is going on???

I was outside checking for power. I noticed there are 6 wires total (3 pairs: 2 black, 2 green and 2 tan wires) going into the headlight. The green and tan were both getting power. The weird thing is that now only the drivers side headlight will work on HIGH and LOW beam but the passenger side does not turn on at all anymore.. As before both the headlights turned on but only in high beam and not in low.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

have you checked the actual HL switch yet?

your problem sounds similar to the one i had with my '78 FS. i had dropped in a newer coloum (with the dimmer switch & wiper controls mounted to the coloum), and a few months after that i started having pulsing issues with the LB, and eventually they would just shut off after a few minutes.

whole mess of hair pulling, and it turned out to be a failing HL switch.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Administrator

The wiring you mentioned was on the driver side headlight, correct? That's where it should be. One of each of the green & tan wires runs over to the passenger side headlight. The green wire should have power when the high beams are on and the tan wire when the low beams are on.

It sounds almost like you have a problem in where the wires connect in at the driver side headlight.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Default Figured out the problem

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The wiring you mentioned was on the driver side headlight, correct? That's where it should be. One of each of the green & tan wires runs over to the passenger side headlight. The green wire should have power when the high beams are on and the tan wire when the low beams are on.

It sounds almost like you have a problem in where the wires connect in at the driver side headlight.
I pushed in the wires that connect in at the headlights and headlights came on! The connections feel sort of loose tho. Can i fix this problem?

Old 12-25-2010, 11:12 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

if it's just a loose conection, then use a small standard screwdriver, and gently spread out the female connectors from the back of the plugs.

if you feel you can't get in there with a small enough screwdriver, then use one of those dental pic/hook tools. be casreful though, you don't want to bend them out too far (i've seen the old ones break off).

you could also just go to a wreckers & cut them off a parts truck (provided you find ones in good enough condition). you can also try looking @ one of the larger parts suppliers. not exactly sure what any of the Auto Zone's or Pepboy's carry down there, but i know that CTC & Advance up here carry alot of the more common plugs (GM ftw!).

try NAPA as well, as i've seen a few @ my local one.

GL.