Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

My Rides Lights and Switches :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
peterlucas is on a distinguished road
Default My Rides Lights and Switches :)

Hey everyone, I ordered some 2x6" reverse/flood lights from KC the other day and they finally came in. They look great, and came with al the right hardware to install at home. I have started my install but have run into a few kinks:

1) Each light has to be grounded individually. The grounding wire is about a foot long off the light, so I am guessing it is alright to ground the lights to the bolts where the brackets are mounted on to the car? What would you do?

2) I have a CB radio, and a sub/amp wired into the positive battery terminal. This light kit requires a yellow wire,(for the aux switch) and a green wire(for the lights) That means I have a 4 ring sandwich on my terminal.

a. Are there any other places to power my CB or any of these wires? I have heard you can plug it in to the fuse box somehow.

b. Is there a way to join the yellow, green, and CB wires so that they would use the same ring terminal attachment.

c. Where should I ground my switch ground, the wire is only about 2 feet.

here are some pictures for your better understanding of what i"m talking about.

Attached Thumbnails My Rides Lights and Switches :)-img_2474.jpg   My Rides Lights and Switches :)-img_2475.jpg   My Rides Lights and Switches :)-img_2480.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

You can ground them any where on the body or frame as longs as you've gotta good clean ground ( a multimeter is very handy for figuring that part out.) free off rust/paint.. as far as wiring up to a Positive else where in the truck.. in my (99 Bravada) there's a positive junction post right next to the fuse box under the hood. if you remove the fust cover its on the left side of the box as your looking over the fender. I grounded the switchs for both of my lights on the glove box hindge bolts... just clean off any paint or dirt. btw don't be afraid to lengthen any of the wires w/ extra wire & connecters... I had to make my own harrnesses for all of my lights.. lol

Old 12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road

One possible solution if you're going to have multiple auxiliary things, is you can get a power distribution block. I have a Stinger one with 2 inputs (1/0 or 4 AWG) with 4 outputs (4 or 8 AWG) which I use to power everything of mine. Each output is fused, too.