Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

NEED HELP ASAP: Lost most of my dash & lights!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Starting Member
ckonen is on a distinguished road
Default NEED HELP ASAP: Lost most of my dash & lights!

Hello all. I'm a new member with a BIG problem. This past weekend I set out to finally replace a leaky heater core that was fogging badly and making it hard to see and breathe in the truck. I took everything out and finally got the dash and core out (14 hours later thanks to a Haynes manual that didn't mention 3 bolts holding in the vent housing). At any rate, got it out, replaced it and started putting it back together minues the sound insulator panels at the bottom of the dash.

I went to start it and the truck runs and has headlights, brakes work etc. However I lost the dome light, the radio does not turn on at all, the power locks are a no go, the overhead display with time, weather etc is out, the Tach doesn't work nor the fuel gauge, no shift indicator either. Haven't drive it yet so I don't know what else is not working.

This is a daily driver that I now have to limp around in all week until the weekend and then have to take apart to find the issue any ideas? Also I coulda sworn I removed two wiring harnesses plus the antenna from the radio but I only found the 1 harness and antenna when I reconnected. I didn't take pics when I took apart nor any notes so I can't remember if there were two harnesses, but there is an open socket currently on the radio next to the antenna input.

This is a 99 Chever Blazer 4.3 4wd LT (might be LS can't remember)

Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Starting Member

Correction it's an LT not an LS. Will update later if I find anything else that doesn't work. P.S. I checked all of the fuses already and they all were fine.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Starting Member

Fixed it !! it finally dawned on me that the wiring harness I couldn't find that I thought went to the radio was actually the dash harness that had gotten wedged up by the steering column. What can I say...I only got 6 hours sleep between Friday night and Monday morning...now I just have to fix the alarm from going off, which I think will happen when I reprogram the keyless entry transmitter/receiver.