Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

New battery, new alternator, LOW VOLTAGE???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not implying anything. I think I stated quite clearly that the brown wire should have +12V in the RUN, bulb test, & START key positions. That wire is what tells the alternator to charge. If it does not have +12V it will not charge, PERIOD.

Even if the 'gauges' fuse is good, the 'charge' indicator bulb could be out causing the circuit to be incomplete or you could have a broken wire between the fuse & the cluster or the cluster & the alternator.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member
MOTOWNSTREETKINGS is an unknown quantity at this point

By the charge indicator bulb are you referring to the light in the cluster? Sorry didn't mean to come off as an *** I just didn't really understand what you were trying to explain. Thanks for the help brother

Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

there should be a 12 volt feed to that brown wire. IF there is no 12 volts there thats the issue. With no 12 volts there the alternator wont charge.

Once the ignition is turned on there should be a constant 12 volts to that brown wire.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Beginning Member

Would I need to replace the whole clip or just the wire? And would you happen to know the exact name of that part?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

It would most likely be a wire issue. But you wont be knowing that till you see that you have 12 volts to that wire.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member

What would I use to test the wire?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

a multimeter.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I'm going to borrow one from a friend. If it is the wire connected to the plug how would I change it? I see that the wire goes into like a protective hose thing with a couple other wires and that hose goes towards the back of the motor and from what I see towards the firewall. Help anyone?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member

I ended up fixing the problem myself. Thanks to the people that actually tried to help. This forum is pretty much not helpful. All people do is read your thread but don't do anything to try and help. If you guys are actually looking for a place that will try and help you check out truckforum.org they're a bunch of cool dudes there. Goodbye blazer forum!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
BF Guru

We basically did help you... If you dont know how to test a dam wire for power then thats your issue.

Edit: where are my manners ? I forgot to say YOUR WELCOME.

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 10-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: New battery, new alternator, LOW VOLTAGE???