Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

no dash lights, no fp when key turned..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road
Default no dash lights, no fp when key turned..?

97 blazer 4x4. Alright, getting tired of this thing giving problems, but from various other threads ive got a good idea as to what is wrong this time..

Symptoms-No dash lights, no fuel pump, no power when key turned on (when hot [80+ degrees] outside) I have to turn the key off and on numerous times just for anything to start up. I can turn the truck over, but it will NOT start when this happens.. im thinking it might be my ignition switch.

Im thinking since its 80+ outside, the inside of the truck is around 90+ and its just to hot, while im sitting in it with the door open or roll my windows down and let it air out it'll start. But if i keep the door closed (holding the warm air inside) it won't start unless i sit with the key turned ON for 5+ minutes OR if i try to turn it over 5-8 times.

what do you think?

Last edited by Senshi09; 08-31-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm betting on the ignition switch as well.

CLICK HERE for the schematics for your ignition switch that should help in testing continuity across all of the contacts housed inside.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Starting Member

yeah its definately my ignition switch. I just tried and had nothing, let the cab air out for 20 minutes-usually works cool down the cab-not this time. What I did was i removed the lower plastic off the colum and tapped on that black box directly below my ignition and tried and voila it worked. Tried it again and it worked again.. damn.. why it couldn't it be something simple like a fuse? Time to search for a How-To on how to remove the danged steering column to fix it i guess

Stupid ignition.. oh dang! 137 for the switch?!?!?! holy freemoleys!! Is there another (cheaper) brand I can use by chance ha ha ha

ha ha thanks to the HOW-TO i just discovered that my airbag wire wasn't even hooked up.. guess i could hook that up while im digging through for the ignition switch then. How nice, wonder what else ill find..

Last edited by Senshi09; 08-31-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check RockAuto.com. They really are simple enough that I doubt there would be much of a quality difference brand to brand, but they are all around the same price.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Check RockAuto.com. They really are simple enough that I doubt there would be much of a quality difference brand to brand, but they are all around the same price.
Ditto.. but while you're at Rockauto click on the part # to get the applications for it. ie all different vehicles it fits.
Looks like failure incidence is fairly low so if money's a problem, you can scavenge out of the wreckers.

Just make sure, there's no cracks or evidence of overheat.

I'm only pointing this out because I sprang for a complete MFS and, once I got it back from the shop and looked at the old one, saw I could'a fixed it with just the hazard switch.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Starting Member

Well I followed the how to on the ignition switch.. i took the wire out from the back of a box labled "Remote Function Activation Module and i turned the key to see if it would turn over figuring it wouldn't... but it did.. it started right up with no problems at all.. now im beyond confused....

Last edited by Senshi09; 09-01-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Starting Member

did a lot of searching and examined the wire, compared it to the pictures on here and from rockauto.com, found that the wire that i pulled out looks similar to the ones on here and RA, but the big difference is those ones have that bolt going through the middle of it, mine doesn't. I did some more searching and found that the box in my truck must of been to a remote start that someone else has put in but that leaves me with another question. If the remote start is still installed, but disconnected, then wouldn't that still disable the truck from starting with the key as well??

I never did disconnect my battery, I forgot to do that even though it was step 1.. I just dove right in and began tearing stuff apart like I normally do lol I did examine it and found no cracks or anything of the sort, at least the box under the key. The module itself looked fine as well.. for the time being, im leaving it unplugged.. it shows no sign of any harm being done to the ignition. Like i stated, it starts fine now, even better then it did before. I tucked the plug up under the kick panel and bolted it all back together. Ill leave it like that until I either figure out what is going on or until it dies out.

Last edited by Senshi09; 09-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.