Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Not another brake light lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
G-FLo is on a distinguished road
Default Not another brake light lol

Did all kinds of searchs cant come up with anything but heres my issue.
Just bought a 2001 4DR Blazer 4x4 . It runs ok gonna need some work but not have any brake lights keeps me from driving it at all . So the headlights work , tailights turn on with the headlights . blinkers all work , hazards work . checked all fuses , Pulled out the tailights bulbs checked ok . I purchased a brake light switch while i was gettin some stuff at autoparts store . After getting in there i found to white wire which had the rubber melted off in about same lengths of both white wires , but the wire where still intact . Anyhow i cut off and reattached the wire , changed out the brake switch and still nothing .. Should my next step be check the turn signal lever ..
I know you have seen this asked million times and sorry if so but i need my damn brake lights lol

EDIT :
I leave what i started instead of deleting .
So I just got done reading a differnt thread I had searched and low and behold I went outside and tried it . Guess what it worked the damn HAZARD button on steering column .. I started fiddling around with it and holding brakes down , what do you know we have brake lights .

Pulling the hazard button back very hard keeps the lights on , pulling back less firm and applying breaks lights em up , but go off as soon as i let go from pulling the button .. So now i need to remove steering column and and switch out the whole button or will there be wiring thats maybe loose ? .Thanks in advance ..

Last edited by G-FLo; 08-13-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS POST should help with the diagram. Found by searching for "brake+light+diagram". I see you got it figured out though.

Try changing out just the hazard switch first. There's a tech article with the details including the PN. For less than $20, it's worth a try before plunking down the coin for a multifunction switch. Every one I have ever repaired had an internal problem with the multifunction switch, not a wiring issue. A few were able to be repaired with just the hazard switch.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

The two white connect to one terminal of sw. Goes to HAZ sw contacts in MFS Haz sw fails fairly often
Check each white for shorts to grd.
Other shows Org {hot} on my diagr which is Fed by separate 20 A Brake fuse in underhood block

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-13-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member

thanks guys ,everything on my MFS works so hopefuly wont have to change that out
will check it out and see what i can do ..

Last edited by G-FLo; 08-13-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If memory serves correctly, this I covered by a recall. I know it was with mine. Call up your local dealership, that you trust, and ask them.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
If memory serves correctly, this I covered by a recall. I know it was with mine. Call up your local dealership, that you trust, and ask them.

Thanks AJ .. I could of sworn that I had read it somwhere but over the last 2 days how much info I've been trying to take it and not saving anywhere or bookmarking leaves me starting from scratch off memory .lol
Dont trust any dealers really but I will find one and see if it will help me out . Be pretty cool if they do honor a recall fix .. Thanks so much . Startin to like this forum more and more ...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

So i went to the dealer today , asked the service rep about the factory recall . Turns out there was one and that it was performed a in 2002 .. He stated that if it was performed once they cannot do it again . And offere to inspect and diagnose is for $95 .. I said no thanks when to parts desk asked for the hazard switch they wanted to sell me something that cost $118 . So after comin back home with no progress i ripped the top cover off the steering column , somehow poped out the hazard button it was all covered in some greasy stuff .. I wiped it off and put it back in , kid you not lights were working , like a dumbass i turned on the hazards and to see if they work , after turning them off the brake lights wernt working again . So i folded a little peice of cardboard wedged behind the hazard button and so far i got some termporary brake lights .. Also was so bored decided to black out taillights and front parking lights also added some leds down by the tow hook .

btw my center light up top doesnt lights up at all

Last edited by G-FLo; 08-15-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

It was covered by a recall. I had my whole MFS changed and that was probably all that was wrong.
Rockauto has the Dorman replacement for under ten bucks..
....buy two, they're small...

More Information for DORMAN 924608

And BY THE WAY... that 'greasy stuff' is supposed to be there, it did not cause the problem and NEVER clean factory grease out of a harness connector unless you plan to replace it.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the link will order couple for sure ..I knew that greasy stuff was supposed to be there just seemed like so much lol .
Thanks again