Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Passlock problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:55 AM
zac4cs is on a distinguished road
Default Passlock problems

Hi all, I have a question to ask about my 2000 gmc sonoma 4.3. I know it isn't a blazer, but I was wondering if you guys would help anyways.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. My truck starts for a few seconds, then dies. The security light would stay on solid after it ran, which I found out means that there is a fault in the system somewhere. I tried splicing the yellow wire to the orange and black wire like many people say, but that did not solve my problem. It allowed me to reset it, but it still starts, but wont run.

I guess it could be fuel pump, but why would the security light be on?

thanks a lot,

Zac

Old 01-27-2019, 10:56 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zac4cs
Hi all, I have a question to ask about my 2000 gmc sonoma 4.3. I know it isn't a blazer, but I was wondering if you guys would help anyways.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. My truck starts for a few seconds, then dies. The security light would stay on solid after it ran, which I found out means that there is a fault in the system somewhere. I tried splicing the yellow wire to the orange and black wire like many people say, but that did not solve my problem. It allowed me to reset it, but it still starts, but wont run.

thanks a lot,

Zac
Welcome too the Forum! My first thought might have something too do with your ignition switch... Just a guess though. There are far more knowledgeable people here than me that will surely help you out soon.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by go chevy
Welcome too the Forum! My first thought might have something too do with your ignition switch... Just a guess though. There are far more knowledgeable people here than me that will surely help you out soon.
Thanks man! The bypass I described above should have ruled out the ignition switch, but I don't know for sure.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 PM

Rented a fuel pressure gague, and have 60psi, so that rules fuel pump out.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Rented a fuel pressure gague, and have 60psi, so that rules fuel pump out.
Good fuel pressure from what you posted... I am wondering how the security light thing ties in though??? Maybe some kind of bad sensor? I am a rookie on here compared too most of these guys, so I bet someone will jump in soon and help you out...

Old 01-29-2019, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by go chevy
My first thought might have something too do with your ignition switch... Just a guess though.
Went ahead and got a new ignition switch anyways and it didn't really change anything.

at least my ignition is buttery smooth now 😄

Old 01-30-2019, 11:33 AM

Have you checked your fuel filter? It will start and run a few seconds you said and then die... Could your fuel injectors be all clogged up? Come on you guys, jump in and help him out, I know you are out there

Old 12-03-2021, 02:42 AM
Starting Member
RobTaylor1970 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2004 Chevy Blazer that I lost my key and tried to hotwire it by tearing out the ignition switch housing or whatever I finally figured out where the starter wire was located and it will turn over but not start. I'm thinking that it's a pass lock issue and I don't know what to do about it could someone please advise me

Old 12-03-2021, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

The passlock module in the ignition assembly presents a unique resistor value to the computer to allow the vehicle to start. You hack the wiring, place a resistor in the circuit and then perform a passlock relearn. After this hack the anti theft security feature will no longer work but the truck will start. If you have wiring/soldering skills and know how to read a resistor color code or have a digital meter let me know and I can walk you through the process.

The proper way to fix it is to replace the lock cylinder and passlaock module and perform the relearn.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 12-03-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:29 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

3rd option: I would have a dealer or locksmith call GM with the serial number and cut a new key. Same key fits more than one lock.

Quick Reply: Passlock problems