Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

power seat got wet don't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 PM
ludude1975 is on a distinguished road
Default power seat got wet don't work

Ok to keep it simple, the upper weatherstripping on the drivers side doors is falling off and it poured the other day leaked bad and soaked the hell out of the drivers side seat, floor, power seat controls etc.

She had to drive and the seat started going forward by itself till she was up in the dash. She took it home and parked in the garage to dry out.

Now the seat won't work. Fuses all look ok. I pulled a plug on a box under the seat, plugged it back in and it will work for a few but say you push forward it just keeps going till you move opposite direction. Then it won't work again until you unplug and replug it in. So you can imagine how hard it is to adjust the seat!

What should I replace? Control switch or that box under the seat?

Where can I get them for cheap? 99 blazer loaded leather, sunroof, etc.

Also gluing the stripping don't work for crap. where can I get new weatherstripping? It's lost is adhesive. It's the upper one that goes from about the mirror height, up over both doors.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ludude1975
Ok to keep it simple, the upper weatherstripping on the drivers side doors is falling off and it poured the other day leaked bad and soaked the hell out of the drivers side seat, floor, power seat controls etc.

She had to drive and the seat started going forward by itself till she was up in the dash. She took it home and parked in the garage to dry out.

Now the seat won't work. Fuses all look ok. I pulled a plug on a box under the seat, plugged it back in and it will work for a few but say you push forward it just keeps going till you move opposite direction. Then it won't work again until you unplug and replug it in. So you can imagine how hard it is to adjust the seat!

What should I replace? Control switch or that box under the seat?

Where can I get them for cheap? 99 blazer loaded leather, sunroof, etc.

Also gluing the stripping don't work for crap. where can I get new weatherstripping? It's lost is adhesive. It's the upper one that goes from about the mirror height, up over both doors.
last First: weatherstripping for blazer

Last A: Whattaya nmean gluing dont work worth crap. The right glue glues anything to anything. I do know Elmer's aint gonna work.

Next. Did you remove the box and open it?

Did you remove the switch panel and either and both.. douse back of switches relays circuit boards with wd 40 or contact cleaner? Takes a while to get water out a closed space.

From your description I doubt the situation is permanent unless you do nothing.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM
ludude1975 is on a distinguished road

The glue wasn't really glue it was weather stripping adhesive purchased at auto parts store. Used paint thinner to clean off Goo but wouldn't stick for more then a month. Pulled itself off. Should I pull off the whole thing and glue it all? It acts like its shrunk.

As for seat controllers ... opening it I can't get controller apart or find the plug like most boxes have. Is it hard wired to the box under the seat? box under the seat hard to get to since I can barely get the seat to move where I need it. Think I'm gonna have to try to take seat out and I've never had to or tried a power one.