Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Quad beam with DRL & AHL disabled

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default Quad beam with DRL & AHL disabled

Ok i have my DRL's and AHL's disabled. As some of you may know that the quad beam mod doest work in combination with the other two mods. The DRLs will still come on. My question is will it work with HIDs. I have HID highs and lows and I remember reading that someones drl's didnt work becuase the ballast were not getting enough power. If I did the quad beam mod now im assuming it will work but will that hurt the high beam HID's? They wont go on as DRL's because they are not getting enough voltage.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Well, i have had my high and low beams for about a year now and i just recently disabled the DRLs, the highs still look great and i haven't noticed any damage but i'm no electrical master

Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 PM

/did the DRL's still work with the HID's?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

no they did not, they never turned on, i ran it like that for about 8 months before i disabled them. but like i said, i'm no expert.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

the drl's are just low beams with reduced voltage to make them a little dimmer than full low beams, the lower voltage might not have been enough voltage to power the balasts to power the hid's

Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanmatt135
the drl's are just low beams with reduced voltage to make them a little dimmer than full low beams, the lower voltage might not have been enough voltage to power the balasts to power the hid's
yes, i know that but i was wondering if that would be bad for the ballast. since they are getting a lower voltage then needed.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Actually the DRL's are high beams and the power running to them is actually more of a "pulse", like a sinusoidal wave.. GOOGLE if you want lol...

The "no HID DRL" issue has been solved with a capacitor, but I didn't feel like doing this on my Blazer, so I sold the HighBeam HID's instead. The capacitor goes on 2 pins on the high beam relay, between the power and the DRL pin I believe... I remember reading it on a Mitsubishi forum and wondering if it's work for our trucks.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by oktain
Actually the DRL's are high beams and the power running to them is actually more of a "pulse", like a sinusoidal wave.. GOOGLE if you want lol...

The "no HID DRL" issue has been solved with a capacitor, but I didn't feel like doing this on my Blazer, so I sold the HighBeam HID's instead. The capacitor goes on 2 pins on the high beam relay, between the power and the DRL pin I believe... I remember reading it on a Mitsubishi forum and wondering if it's work for our trucks.
Yeah, I knew they were high beams but didnt bother saying anything. Ok, it sounds like I will be fine. I dont want DRL's. I was just worried about damaging the ballast because its not getting full power or its "pulsating".

Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no pulse width modulation going on with the DRLs on these trucks. What happens is the relays re-route the power and ground to the high beams making it so that the two headlight bulbs run in series with each other. When in DRL mode, chassis ground goes to one bulb, the positive from that bulb runs to the negative of the other, and the positive on the 2nd bulb receives +12V power.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

my HID's turned on with the DRL's but that isn't good for them because they aren't getting full power. I didn't feel like disabling my DRL's so I put a peice of tape over my light sensor so my low beams are on all the times at full power. I like it better this way then I never have to worry about turning on my lights.

Quick Reply: Quad beam with DRL & AHL disabled