Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

question about H.I.D. lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road
Default question about H.I.D. lights

I want to buy a pair of HID lights. I know they are plug-n-play and I won't be buying the cheapest pair but I have seen a blazer get a short and catch fire from them. He was running an amp and box in the truck as well, with no capacitor. Are the chances of this occurrence high? Is it because the daytime running lights are always on?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I've never heard of that happening. There are plenty of people here on the forum running HID's (from one of our suppliers, HID Extra). If it really did catch fire I'd say it was poor wiring.
Also, if I'm not mistaken the HID's disable your DRL's, so that couldn't cause the problem.

You might want to check out HID Extra here on the forum. They have great deals on HIDs for BF.com members.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member

Cool, Ill go to HIDExtra.com, thanks!

Do you know what size they are for an '00 ZR2?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

9006 low beams 9005 highs. and I have the biggest electrical mess in my truck and I haven't caught fire yet

Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i dont even have HIDs and I've caught fire.

as long as you follow some basic electrical standards and don't lubricate your terminals with ether, you should get a lot of mileage out of your HIDs....

Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Why does that not suprise me you managed to catch something on fire Curtis? lol.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran

above was just a snarky comment....

BUT, in my defense: it was on a 24 volt truck system, and the batteries were covered in trash...

the only reason I caught it on fire was because i was the unlucky chump driving at the time

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-19-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member

24 volt? huh? lol

is that an older system?

BTW thanks for the sizing! I am thinking about getting black headlights with them...would this look tacky? They may not reflect a substantial amount from inside b/c they are black, i'm not sure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-00...Q5fAccessories

Old 02-19-2010, 02:15 PM
BF Veteran

it was a M1114.
24 volt because it's diesel and has a TON of electrical do-dads and whizz-bang neatoness strapped, bolted, and glued to it...

as for those headlights: if that is the look you want, go for it. Just make sure those things are rated to handle the extra juice the HIDs put out... dont want to melt your new lenses down, you know?

IMHO, since you asked: they are tacky. Tacky before the HID's, but I also hate the projectors my truck came with and will replace them with stock lights some day... But, it's your truck. I'm sure some of the crap i have done to mine others find tacky... (i can hear Alex's teeth grind every time i look at my splash guards and bug deflector). go with what you like

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-19-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swizznuker
24 volt? huh? lol

is that an older system?

BTW thanks for the sizing! I am thinking about getting black headlights with them...would this look tacky? They may not reflect a substantial amount from inside b/c they are black, i'm not sure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-00...Q5fAccessories
those are what I have. They suck don't waste your money, only reason I bought them was because I broke my stock ones. I'm going to invest in a new set of stock ones. The light reflects a lot better off the stock housings than those crappy ebay ones. plus you are supposed to have HID's in a projector housing but the only projector lights for a blazer I can find are crappy ebay halo ones...

Quick Reply: question about H.I.D. lights