Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Rear lighting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Owengsi is on a distinguished road
Default Rear lighting issues

Hi. My 1999 blazer is having a weird issue.

if I don’t turn the lights on, I have stop lights, but if I turn the lights on, I have no stop/tail lights.

im hoping it’s a simple bad ground issue somewhere, so if anyone knows where the lights are grounded, or knows exactly what the issue is, I’d really appreciate it so I can drive the thing at night.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:46 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

There are many places throughout the body and frame where the grounds are located along with what are called "splice packs" that join grounding circuits. I have a 1999 service manual so if you can be a bit more specific I might be able to find you some schematics and locating diagrams. Sending you all of them would be pretty hard as that there are so many pages of of these for our Blazers!

Old 02-09-2020, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
There are many places throughout the body and frame where the grounds are located along with what are called "splice packs" that join grounding circuits. I have a 1999 service manual so if you can be a bit more specific I might be able to find you some schematics and locating diagrams. Sending you all of them would be pretty hard as that there are so many pages of of these for our Blazers!

what specifics do you need?

Old 02-09-2020, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Any other hints as to the circuits at question; e.g. symptoms of the issue in addition to what you have already shared.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:28 PM

Any other hints as to the circuits at question; e.g. symptoms of the issue in addition to what you have already shared.

sadly that’s all there is to go on. If I turn on the lights, I have no stop/tail lights, if I don’t turn the lights on, I have stop lights.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Owengsi
sadly that’s all there is to go on. If I turn on the lights, I have no stop/tail lights, if I don’t turn the lights on, I have stop lights.
OK, I have to run some errands and some other things to do today. I'll see what I can find for you.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Owengsi
Hi. My 1999 blazer is having a weird issue.

if I don’t turn the lights on, I have stop lights, but if I turn the lights on, I have no stop/tail lights.

im hoping it’s a simple bad ground issue somewhere, so if anyone knows where the lights are grounded, or knows exactly what the issue is, I’d really appreciate it so I can drive the thing at night.
I have attached the schematics that I think are relevant. They are all interconnected so it gets complicated.

But after looking at them while doing my search for them, I wouldn't be surprised if the issue was the multi-function switch on the column instead of the ground.

The stop lamp circuit is on page 8-229 with the circuit diagrams on pages 8-56, 60, and 62. The ground circuits are on pages 8-441 or 442 depending on your rear gate type. The other pages are pictures of the harnesses.

The upshot is that the multi-function switch controls the filaments of the rear bulbs (two each) to be used as either stop lamps, parking lamps, or turn signals. There is a lot going on in that switch including the hazard lights.

Let me know if you need any more.

Good Luck!

Attached Files
Old 02-10-2020, 08:33 AM

I have attached the schematics that I think are relevant. They are all interconnected so it gets complicated.

But after looking at them while doing my search for them, I wouldn't be surprised if the issue was the multi-function switch on the column instead of the ground.

The stop lamp circuit is on page 8-229 with the circuit diagrams on pages 8-56, 60, and 62. The ground circuits are on pages 8-441 or 442 depending on your rear gate type. The other pages are pictures of the harnesses.

The upshot is that the multi-function switch controls the filaments of the rear bulbs (two each) to be used as either stop lamps, parking lamps, or turn signals. There is a lot going on in that switch including the hazard lights.

Let me know if you need any more.

Good Luck!

brilliant, thank you.