Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Rear window glass won't open. no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Jim84 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear window glass won't open. no power

Hello, I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy SLT. It has the rear hatch style, not the tailgate style. I've got the panel off, and the actuator out. The thing is, when I hook a test light to the actuator plug, and push the button, I am not getting any power there. All other power windows, locks, and accessories work, such as heat/power seats, mirrors, etc.

I am not sure if there is a specific fuse or relay I should be looking at for this? In the manual it doesn't say there is a fuse for this. The rear hatch power lock works fine.

The rear button has 2 wires, that go to a connector with 4 on the other side. One is hot, one unlocks the hatch, and one locks it. The other didn't seem to do anything.

Perhaps I just need to replace the actuator, but it seems like there is a problem getting power to it.

Any help would be appreciated, I've tried searching and looking at related posts, most of the rear glass ones seem to be about how to open the tailgate when the window won't open.

Thanks all.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

the one that does not do anything is most likely ground. But if there is no power going to the plug from any of the wires, then the problem is farther up, I would remove the switch and test for power there.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the tip, I will try that. Sorry for the delay, I was out of town.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:29 AM

Ok, so I went back and checked again.

The switch has 2 wires, the go to a connector. When disconnected, one side does have power. When I jump the power from one side to the other, I still don't get power at the either of the wires going to the actuator.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

next thing would be to remove the actuator, and bench test it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 PM

But there is no power going to the actuator.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
BF Veteran

Then there has to be a problem with the wiring between the switch and the actuator.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM

The wiring doesnt go direct from the switch to the actuator. The switch has a two wire connector on it. It plugs into a connector that has 2 on the switch side, and 4 on the other side. Those 4 go to the door latch. The wires for the actuator from there dissapear into the harness. There must be something that says whether the glass should be locked or not, a fuse or a relay in the system somewhere perhaps as well...

Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS POST has the diagrams pertinent to your vehicle. It's an oldie, but goodie. The schematics should help you figure out whether power & ground are properly being routed to the actuator.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM

I'll have a look, thanks

Quick Reply: Rear window glass won't open. no power