Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Roof mounted fog lamps.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM
CEnns is on a distinguished road
Default Roof mounted fog lamps.

i'm looking for ideas on how to mount fog lamps on my roof and if there is any way to run the wiring that doesn't involve drilling holes in my roof

Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i ran mine along the weatherstripping and out at the mount point.
i have some exposed but not much.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

i mounted mine to my stock roof rack... there are if i remember correctly 8 screws that hold the rack to the actual roof... What I did was take out one of those screws after I got all my wiring sorted out. Then ran the wire I needed in through the hole where the screw was. After that I used some silicone to seal the hole so rain, snow, etc doesn't get in. It's been like this for about 6 months now and is fine.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You don't want to mount fog lights up on top. Driving/offroad lights yes, fogs no. They will be completely useless up there. You want to mount them as low as possible.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

no drilling on the roof... hmmm...
only option is use existing hole, running it back in through the hatch, drilling a hole in the windshield , or down the pillar via the weather stripping.

a hole and plug is your best bet. go UNDER a roof rack mounting point, or through a bolt hole if you want to leave a small foot print.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:33 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AJBert
You don't want to mount fog lights up on top. Driving/offroad lights yes, fogs no. They will be completely useless up there. You want to mount them as low as possible.

This I agree with

Originally Posted by ABN31B
no drilling on the roof... hmmm...
only option is use existing hole, running it back in through the hatch, drilling a hole in the windshield , or down the pillar via the weather stripping.

a hole and plug is your best bet. go UNDER a roof rack mounting point, or through a bolt hole if you want to leave a small foot print.

My mini bar light but same process, drilled a hole in the back and sealed it up.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
CEnns is on a distinguished road

thanks i'll try running it through one of my roof rack holes. any ideaas on how to mount the actuall bar to the roof rack i don't want it on the rails that go across the roof beacuse i put snowboards on there in winter

Old 01-28-2011, 10:09 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

get a roof basket

Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Carr makes a seperate lightbar that mounts to your rain gutters, it didn't fit the 95 4dr (w/out modding a little) but you can check on that.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

check out kiwi's add-a-bar mod and mount to that. much cheaper than the clamp on, and very cool looking.

go wireless if need be

Quick Reply: Roof mounted fog lamps.