Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Short in wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does your 3rd brake light work when the lower two do not? If so, the problem is likely in your multifunction switch. You may be able to fix the problem temporarily by rapidly turning on and off your hazard lights. If this does fix it temporarily, then you may be able to get away with just replacing the hazard switch (there's a how-to for that in the Tech Article section). If that doesn't work, then you either have to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the multifunction switch or replace it outright.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Beginning Member
TriBlaKer is on a distinguished road

No, in fact the third brake light didn't even work when the lower two did when it randomly started working again. I'll try the hazard light trick though.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member

Update. Hazard light switch trick didn't work. In fact the hazard switch didn't work unless I held it too the left. I'm guessing I should just replace that AND the multifunction switch

Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could try just replacing the hazard switch which will cost you $15:
Broken Hazard Switch Repair

If that doesn't work, then yes, you will have to replace the whole multifunction switch if you do not wish to disassemble, clean, & reassemble it.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member

Alright ill get around to the hazard switch later on. I'm crossing my fingers its not the the multifunction switch.cause first I don't know where to find it and second I don't know how to clean the sucker if I do lol