Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

SMD replacements for Audio Controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:43 AM
vhfkid is on a distinguished road
Default SMD replacements for Audio Controls

I have been scouring the forum for anyone who has replaced burned out lamps in the steering wheel audio controls. I have a 2003 ZR2 Blazer and I want to repair this.

I have removed the controls, and disassembled the switches. They have surface mount "grain of wheat" style lamps in a SMD package. I know I can get lamps that will work at Radio Shack or lots of places online.

I would like to replace the incandescent lamps with LEDs. I might consider it a good time to look at changing colors as well!!!

Has anyone found SMD LEDs that will easily work to relamp?

BTW in the pic I removed one of the blue lens covers to show the filaments.

Attached Thumbnails SMD replacements for Audio Controls-img_0114.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 12:59 AM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

Ha, I had my blazer for a couple of months and didn't know the steering wheel controls lit up, I guess mine are burnt out too. On my charger, I just used small surface mount LEDs (plcc2) and a resistor to replace each bulb. I changed out every bulb in all the dash panels and it worked great. I can only assume its possible to do for the blazer as well, you just have to know which way the current flows.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah figure out which direction the current flows and then do the math to figure out how many ohms you need in a resistor for to match the Vf (forward voltage) of the led you use. You could use 3528 leds, or if you want them to be really bright you could use 5050s.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 PM
vhfkid is on a distinguished road

I am looking at several different SMD LEDS and yeah it's no big deal to figure out the resistor, but I was hoping someone had already found ones that fit. I suppose if the solder pads don't line up I can hot glue the LED in place and run some small magnet wire to hook em up.

If ya'll got any ideas on something that'll fit I'd appreciate it, but I'm gunna keep scouring the web to find some that look they can solder right in.

I'll post any that work out great.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I really doubt the pads will match any led package out there perfectly. Just find something about the same size and rig it up to fit.