Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Someone help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 AM
Starting Member
smithn6425 is on a distinguished road
Default Someone help!!!

I just bought a 2000 chevy Blazer 2dr 5 speed 4x4 yesterday it drove great the whole way home no issues at all! I pull in the drive way park it, about 20 min later a friend saw the truck came over and asked to hear it run... It has a loud exaust so I gladly offered to get behind the wheel and rev it a few times... But it cranked over 1 time if that and the electrical when completly dead the dash overhead light EVERYTHING! Now the first thing I think is damn I must have left the head lights on. So I run grab the jumper cables hook em up and it melts my cables and they start smoking! So I unattach them and the next thing I figure was I blew a relay fuse so I had a fuse kit and went ahead and changed every fuse just for the maintaintce and what not. I try and jump it again and this time it cranks 1 turn again and completly dies, I have almost ZERO mechanics training besides watching friends please help me before I mess something up. Im guessing its the alternator or the battery is no good but then again this is my first car and Im 18 I had to work and save for this car for a long time and now Im broke and the truck doesent run please help a kid out.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

a few things,
do you have a battery tester and someone that knows how to use it?
if so, test the battery. it could be bad. if its alright, put a battery charger on it and slow charge it. (low amps)
after you charge the battery up a bit, try and start the truck. it should start. if not, it could be your starter. what noise does it make when the truck tries to start? does the starter seem to be turning really slow?

we need a little more info to help you out. once we get a few things out of the way, we can help you fix it without spending a bunch of unneeded money.

keep us posted on your results.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:30 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Check the Battery Cable routing to make sure that it is not grounding on anything. I almost lost my Jimmy due to the battery cable shorting out and starting a fire in the engine compartment. But before the fire everything would go dead and come back again. Apparently the cable would intermittently rub against the chasis and cause a total short of the battery.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
Default ...

ok so if I hook the jumper cables up while the other car is not running it will charge the battery but not enough to start it. it will crank one time and go completely dead again so I thought it wasnt sucking enough power so when I start the other car as soon as I do so the cables start melting and smoking.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Starting Member

ok so if I hook the jumper cables up while the other car is not running it will charge the battery but not enough to start it. it will crank one time and go completely dead again so I thought it wasnt sucking enough power so when I start the other car as soon as I do so the cables start melting and smoking.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

sounds like it might be going to ground as stated above. chase them and see if there are any bad spots where the insulation has been rubbed through.