Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lighting & Electrical (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical-52/)
-   -   Sow how stupid an idea is an LED tailgate strip? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical-52/sow-how-stupid-idea-led-tailgate-strip-98900/)

Rock18 02-18-2019 11:03 PM

Sow how stupid an idea is an LED tailgate strip?

So I've been looking at something like this for a little bit now. I'd say it was for safety and backup visibility but it's mostly just because I think it might look cool. Some of the other ones I looked at were either overpriced for what you get, might be difficult to fit in the fairly narrow/shallow tailgate channel on these, or had acquired a rep for failing within a year or so.

The one I'm considering now is here:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...connector/4197

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...9cea6b47c0.png

It's only $25, comes from a reputable retailer (SuperBrightLEDs) that's been around for a while, and has a 5-year warranty. Installation looks fairly easy since I already have a trailer harness; would probably need to remove the tailgate to do the best job but that's pretty simple really and so is splicing the reverse light wire.

So my questions are:
a) will it even work/fit?
b) will it look like some stupid ricer highschooler eBay nonsense if it does?
c) is this a good idea?
d) am I mostly just looking for validation of something I've already decided to do anyway?
e) have I suffered some sort of head injury or something?
f) any advice for weatherproofing beyond dielectric silicone grease at the connections and plenty of electrical tape?

Intended application is a 2000 Blazer LS 2dr/2wd if it matters.

If anyone has direct experience with these (and this model in particular) I'd be grateful.
Thanks!

odat 02-19-2019 12:19 AM

If you want it go for it - screw what everybody else thinks. A good solder joint and heat shrink not elect tape

cleburne red 02-19-2019 05:14 AM

I mean, personally I'm not a fan of those led tail light strips.

But, last time I checked, I wasn't paying for your truck, either, so you do what you want with it!

Just make good connections, like odat said
​​​​​​

DonL 02-19-2019 07:32 AM

I've been contemplating on getting a strip myself. I like the look of them personally... and it gives me and extra sense of safety for the wife, as it give more brake lights for the idiots behind to notice. Post some pics if you do get it installed, havent seen one on a blazer yet, and I'm really interested to see...

go chevy 02-19-2019 09:45 AM

I second what Don L said, I have never seen them on a Blazer, Jimmy ect... If your led brake light above the rear door hatch is working properly I honestly don't see the need for more lights other than like you said, "they look cool"..... I do know that if added lights, not factory even, must work or you can be ticketed if a bored cop wants to write a quick and easy ticket!

cleburne red 02-19-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by go chevy (Post 703338)
I second what Don L said, I have never seen them on a Blazer, Jimmy ect... If your led brake light above the rear door hatch is working properly I honestly don't see the need for more lights other than like you said, "they look cool"..... I do know that if added lights, not factory even, must work or you can be ticketed if a bored cop wants to write a quick and easy ticket!

Aftermarket lights have to work or you can be ticketed? First I've heard of that

Tom A 02-19-2019 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red (Post 703345)
Aftermarket lights have to work or you can be ticketed? First I've heard of that

Not in California.

24252 (a) All lighting equipment of a required type installed on a vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good working order. Lamps shall be equipped with bulbs of the correct voltage rating corresponding to the nominal voltage at the lamp socket.

CWBDDSPC 02-19-2019 01:43 PM

I say go for it!

Speaking of California, a cop may call you out for walking across a crosswalk in front of a parking garage if the light is red... I’m used to small town Iowa and prefer it! ;)

odat 02-19-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A (Post 703350)
Not in California.

24252 (a) All lighting equipment of a required type installed on a vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good working order. Lamps shall be equipped with bulbs of the correct voltage rating corresponding to the nominal voltage at the lamp socket.

One of the many reasons why I live in Wyoming ...... :icon_roflmao:

Tom A 02-19-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC (Post 703353)
I’m used to small town Iowa and prefer it! ;)

I've spent a lot of time in small town Iowa, and I prefer it, too.

Originally Posted by odat (Post 703354)
One of the many reasons why I live in Wyoming ...... :icon_roflmao:

Do required lights not have to work in Wyoming?