Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Sow how stupid an idea is an LED tailgate strip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road
Default Sow how stupid an idea is an LED tailgate strip?

So I've been looking at something like this for a little bit now. I'd say it was for safety and backup visibility but it's mostly just because I think it might look cool. Some of the other ones I looked at were either overpriced for what you get, might be difficult to fit in the fairly narrow/shallow tailgate channel on these, or had acquired a rep for failing within a year or so.

The one I'm considering now is here:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...connector/4197

It's only $25, comes from a reputable retailer (SuperBrightLEDs) that's been around for a while, and has a 5-year warranty. Installation looks fairly easy since I already have a trailer harness; would probably need to remove the tailgate to do the best job but that's pretty simple really and so is splicing the reverse light wire.

So my questions are:
a) will it even work/fit?
b) will it look like some stupid ricer highschooler eBay nonsense if it does?
c) is this a good idea?
d) am I mostly just looking for validation of something I've already decided to do anyway?
e) have I suffered some sort of head injury or something?
f) any advice for weatherproofing beyond dielectric silicone grease at the connections and plenty of electrical tape?

Intended application is a 2000 Blazer LS 2dr/2wd if it matters.

If anyone has direct experience with these (and this model in particular) I'd be grateful.
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

If you want it go for it - screw what everybody else thinks. A good solder joint and heat shrink not elect tape

Last edited by odat; 02-19-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:14 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I mean, personally I'm not a fan of those led tail light strips.

But, last time I checked, I wasn't paying for your truck, either, so you do what you want with it!

Just make good connections, like odat said
​​​​​​

Old 02-19-2019, 07:32 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I've been contemplating on getting a strip myself. I like the look of them personally... and it gives me and extra sense of safety for the wife, as it give more brake lights for the idiots behind to notice. Post some pics if you do get it installed, havent seen one on a blazer yet, and I'm really interested to see...

Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I second what Don L said, I have never seen them on a Blazer, Jimmy ect... If your led brake light above the rear door hatch is working properly I honestly don't see the need for more lights other than like you said, "they look cool"..... I do know that if added lights, not factory even, must work or you can be ticketed if a bored cop wants to write a quick and easy ticket!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by go chevy
I second what Don L said, I have never seen them on a Blazer, Jimmy ect... If your led brake light above the rear door hatch is working properly I honestly don't see the need for more lights other than like you said, "they look cool"..... I do know that if added lights, not factory even, must work or you can be ticketed if a bored cop wants to write a quick and easy ticket!
Aftermarket lights have to work or you can be ticketed? First I've heard of that

Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Aftermarket lights have to work or you can be ticketed? First I've heard of that
Not in California.

24252 (a) All lighting equipment of a required type installed on a vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good working order. Lamps shall be equipped with bulbs of the correct voltage rating corresponding to the nominal voltage at the lamp socket.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I say go for it!

Speaking of California, a cop may call you out for walking across a crosswalk in front of a parking garage if the light is red... I’m used to small town Iowa and prefer it!

Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
Not in California.

24252 (a) All lighting equipment of a required type installed on a vehicle shall at all times be maintained in good working order. Lamps shall be equipped with bulbs of the correct voltage rating corresponding to the nominal voltage at the lamp socket.
One of the many reasons why I live in Wyoming ......

Old 02-19-2019, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
I’m used to small town Iowa and prefer it!
I've spent a lot of time in small town Iowa, and I prefer it, too.

Originally Posted by odat
One of the many reasons why I live in Wyoming ......
Do required lights not have to work in Wyoming?

Quick Reply: Sow how stupid an idea is an LED tailgate strip?