Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Starting issue. Assuming electrical.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:05 AM
GFiske is on a distinguished road
Default Starting issue. Assuming electrical.

So my buddy has a 99' Chevrolet Blazer I'm a tech at sears auto and am currently enrolled in an auto tech program but am still pretty green. He asked me to comeover and take a look at it his complaint was it won't start. He said he was having some overheating issues and checked his coolant overflow and it was empty and he bought some 50/50 antifreeze and filled it up. After he drove home and parked when he came out to start it next there was no click no dash lights nothing. When I arrived I started simple with the battery with my multimeter which showed 12.36 volts maybe a little low on charge but nothin major. I don't think that the overheating or low antifreeze should have an affect but to be sure I took the radiator cap off and found it about half a gallon low and filled it. As expected no change. I then popped the fuse box and began ohming ignition fuses which all checked out. I was pretty much out of ideas but for one last ditch effort I did try to jump it just incase of a short causing a voltage drop but this also failed. My buddies 98' Toyota T100 had an identical problem and was fixed by simply replacing the neutral safety switch. Could this be the same issue? My two best guesses are neutral safety switch or the ignition switch if anyone has input I would appreciate it very much I won't just throw parts at it. Thank you for any assistance.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Problems with the ign switch are usually weird issues that are come and go, like problems starting and gauges and misc. things not working. I would check the neutral switch first.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Thogert
Problems with the ign switch are usually weird issues that are come and go, like problems starting and gauges and misc. things not working. I would check the neutral switch first.
Thanks man! It's weird initially when I showed up I wiggled the battery terminals (side post) to check for looseness and they seemed fine but the next day it was still bothering me so I tightened'em up to be thorough and she started right up. Shoulda started simpler. Thanks for the advice tho!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 AM
R007 is on a distinguished road

This summer I suddenly experienced problems with my 99 chevrolet blazer apparently having empty battery. It seemed to charge ok, so I assumed the alternator was working and replaced the battery since it was old and seemed to be ready to be replaced. It worked right away, but the next day I had problems agin. Then I realised that it was not the battery. The problem was corrosion on the screws etc that are "protected" with red/black plastic/rubber. So I used a knife to remove the plastic/rubber to get access to the screws etc. Cleaned it up and used "battery pole protection spray". So now the problem is solved.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Yeah I work at Sears Auto and corrosion is a very common issue that we run into baking soda and water takes it right off. I'm always glad to hear more things to look for if I run into the problem again.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member
NowhereMan1966 is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue too. 1999 Blazer LS, four door, 4WD. I turned the key and the electrical system went dead. I then jiggled the battery cables and heard contact, sometimes she is hard to start and runs rough the first try or two and then after that she does run. I'm going to check and tighten my terminals tomorrow and go from there. I'll have to check the cables so I'd check them too. I'm also open to more suggestions.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
NowhereMan1966 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GFiske
Yeah I work at Sears Auto and corrosion is a very common issue that we run into baking soda and water takes it right off. I'm always glad to hear more things to look for if I run into the problem again.
That seemed to cause my problem so I cleaned the terminals and seems to start up fine but I'll keep my eye on it.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by NowhereMan1966
That seemed to cause my problem so I cleaned the terminals and seems to start up fine but I'll keep my eye on it.
Right on man. Glad it have you a quick fix. I'm currently in an automotive program in electrical and in the last 3 weeks we dove deep into starters alternators and batteries and it really is amazing just how much is actual going on.