Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

starting while running

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:16 PM
rjd
rjd is on a distinguished road
Default starting while running

I have a 2000 blazer lt 4.3 while the engine is running the starter re engages and the dash goes through its normal start up procedure. I have changed both the start relay and ignition switch also ruled out the solenoid or rub through on the solenoid excite wire i cut the wire up by the relay center to avoid starter actually engaging and killing both it and flywheel with a multimeter i can watch the wire randomly excite 14 volts but guages stay normal. Dose the pcm control this i cant find any rub through or signs of an electrical short

Old 03-23-2017, 10:12 AM
nater is on a distinguished road

is it possible that your blazer has a remote start from factory or aftermarket? even if it doesnt have the remote someone at one time may have installed one. i am assuming this truck is new to you and this was an existing problem when you bought the truck or shortly after you got it home. even though you already replaced the ignition switch it could still be a bad one. another member with a similar problem was pointed here

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/

this sounds to me like a wire somewhere in the starting system is shorting but that could be anywhere between the initial switch and the starter. even a unknown of remote start wire shorting. it could also be a problem with the charging system check your grounds and have autozone or the likes test the battery. and check the output on the alternator. i once had the dc rectifier go bad and my car did all kinds or weird **** and eventually the battery completely died and the car wouldnt do anything even a new battery didnt fix it. swapped alternators and it was fine.
might also just play with things on the truck and see if you can affect the problem by doing things like messing with the radio, heat/ac controls, lights, multi-function lever, ect. if any of them affect it youll know what is shorting to what.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM
rjd
rjd is on a distinguished road

After extensive testing and searching found the neutral safety switch was shorted out internally switched it out works fine