Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Strange electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Beginning Member
Bildo V. is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Strange electrical issue

Hi,

I have a 2001 Blazer LT what i'd like to know is of anybody has it as well.

Issue:
I have no juice across my instrument panel radio or overhead console, when the key is on.
I have found a temporary fix i rotate the headlight switch to manual headlights but i have to cover the photo sensor it complete the circuit and it all work any idea's as to what would cause this?
Oh and if the dome light is not over ridden it will cause some relay to go nuts and cause the dash to spazz out

Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I have found a temporary fix i rotate the headlight switch to manual headlights but i have to cover the photo sensor it complete the circuit and it all work any idea's as to what would cause this?
- Daytime Running Lights cut out the lights to the guage cluster but they all work normally. Is the light illumination dial all the way down? It'll click when it's all the way off & that = no dash lights.

By 'no juice' do you mean the instrument cluster is not working at all or the lights for them?

Dome light over ridden, spazzing relay, as in what? Meaning it's on!?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Beginning Member

the lack of juice im referring to is when i turn the key on engine off all i get is the ses light volt meter and oil gauge on cluster

when i turn the headlight "on" and cover the auto headlight sensor this completes the circuit and feeds juice across therefore making the dashboard have power

while all this is occurring if i release the dome over ride and allow it to kick on all interior lights flicker therefore killing the circuit and causing the dash to freak out to describe it best the blazer acts as if it having an epileptic fit with the dome light on

what im wondering here i guess is what controls the constant hot to the ignition so everything is powered as is it supposed to be

oh and as for the daytime runners they do not work

Edit: I was able to remove the body block relay unit and remove all but the courtesy relays and it still does it.
So my question is. Is it the headlight switch (which was swapped for one from a salvage yard), or is there a ground that could be causing this, or is it my alternator which i read some where could cause issues?

Last edited by Bildo V.; 05-25-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Updated information
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member

bump :-}

Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

give me a minute & BTW I'm a recovered epileptic so be careful what you ss a sssaay sssay about uss us s lol

Ok in swartlkk's sig you'll find Anatomy of the Ignition Switch https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...em-here-14727/
Dead center at the bottom... I assume that's what you're after - to figure out WTF is connected to what etc.

Seems like some little wee wire somewhere is grounding out (or a bad ground) & sending the rest of the system for a FUBAR

Last edited by Rottidog; 06-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Beginning Member

thank u for the info i have reviewed that article i am considering the replacement of the switch but at 100 for it i don't want too unless i absolutely have too. if there is a cheaper alternative or solution i'd be great full and a new headlight switch is 40 and a new alternator is 150

Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
keving is on a distinguished road

Hi
Been experiencing the exact problems you were having. I have a 2001 4x4 blazer.
I have replaced the Headlight multifunction switch and the Ignition switch. I also bypassed the drl with a 1k ohm resistor and none of these have made a difference.
In addition to the reaction you got with the dome light, I get that when plugging in the cigarette lighter as well. I also only have brake lights to the third brake light now.
And I only have High beams...no low.

My question to you....Did you figure out what was causing all this?
Please say Yes and enlighten me.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member

sadly i have not as i have not had the money to buy the parts i suspect are causing this as for your brake lights there is an article about the multifunction switch and tsb's that detail where the brake lights stop working do a search for "multifunction switch" on here you will find it.

Edit: i have a video here on this thread titled broken blazer it goes thru what i got going on hope it helps u plus that thread gives info on a related matter im to believe
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...ndition-74379/

Last edited by Bildo V.; 01-16-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Additional related last minute info.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Jbizzdat is on a distinguished road

i have a 99 blazer 4 door ls. its doing the same thing as yours is. i thought i was alone! i never figured it out yet

Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
keving is on a distinguished road

I haven't figured it out yet either...but I believe I have it narrowed down to the the BCM.
I have already replaced the igniton switch, headlight switch, and a few relays and nothing changed.
Haven't had much time to work on it lately but hope to get to it again in the next couple of weeks. I will keep you informed when I do.
If you figure it out before then please let me know who you rectified it. thanks