Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

SWR Meter

Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM
00chevblazer is on a distinguished road
Default SWR Meter

Does anybody have a SWR meter that they are not using and would let me use/buy off them cheap? I need to tune my CB badly. Thanks

Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

what CB do you have? if its a cobra 29 it has one built in. and from my experience they work pretty good.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM

classic 25. its got the little meter in the left corner with the needle that jumps when you press the mic, but i'm unsure of where it should be, or how to tune it if it isn't where it should be.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM

the 25 doesnt have an SWR meter built into it. the needle gauge that you have is basically just to see how strong the incoming signal is. in order to tune your antenna you would have to buy a meter or go to a local spot (if any) and have them tune it. when you key up and the needle looks likes it about to jump off the end of the scale that doesnt mean anything. mine has been doing that since i had it jumped up to 45 watts.

remember, you are NOT tuning the radio, you ARE tuning the antenna. the radio doesnt change anything. once you get the antenna right, you should be able to connect any radio to it and it wont change anything. you are basically matching the antenna to the vehicle and everything that is really close to it.

by the way, what kind of antenna is it?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM

i guess i should have reworded my first post. i know i was tuning the antenna, not the cb. but thats for the clarification. I have a 5' whip from Radio Shack mounted on my spare tire. I used to have a lil wil on top and it got great service, but i forgot it was up there and drove into a car wash and that was the end of that... i put the new one on and i don't have much signal? weirdd

Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM

sorry for the late get back. when you say that you put a new one on and you dont have signal, what do you mean? you replaced the lil will whip and nothing? or nothing with the 5 ft from radio shack?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM

im thinking a pinched wire if its the one from radio shack. there are two wires in a cb antenna wire. the core and the shield. if you smash it a little bit, and i mean a LITTLE bit, you shouldnt have any problems. but if you run it through a door and smash the crap out of it, you could have broken the core and then you are screwed. you would have to buy a new cable or replace it. i would also check the grounds on the antenna. i had a ground come off and i couldnt hear anything. but that was on my wilson 1000.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

You can always go to your local cb shop and have them tune the attenna,If Im not mistaken if you keep keying up the radio you will mess it up.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM

that is true. if you run the radio too long with an antenna that is too out of wack, you can burn the finals out in the radio. they arent exactly expensive, but why spend the money if you dont have to.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
You can always go to your local cb shop and have them tune the attenna,If Im not mistaken if you keep keying up the radio you will mess it up.
For a barefoot unit pushing out four watts, not so much. If you run a peaked and tuned radio and/or run a kicker with it, then it becomes critical to have your SWR properly tuned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SWR Meter