Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Tach wire stalls Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Beginning Member
71K5CST is on a distinguished road
Default Tach wire stalls Blazer

Ok so I've gotten my fuel hose and line issue all sorted out! But now another (older) problem is still baffling me. A while back I put a Pertronix Electric Ignition into the Blazer (1971 w/350) and when the tach wire is hooked back up to the coil it kills the engine. Unhooked it runs just fine but the second that wire touches the coil it's lights out. I have no idea what could cause this and it's annoying since I know that having a factory tach in a first gen Blazer is semi-rare and mine is inop

Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are connecting the tach wire to the ground side of the coil right? Connecting it to the positive side will short out the circuit.

CLICK HERE for an article with a good diagram courtesy of HotRod.com.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member

Yes we hooked it back up per the instructions included with the ignition. When that didn't work we tried the positive side and it did the same thing.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if its a hei ignition set up it will say "tach" where you plug it into. if you are plugging it into the correct place and its killing the engine it is probably grounding out somewhere. i used to run a kill switch like that when i was way younger. turned out to be a stupid way to do it as it ended up shorting out my ignition module one day when i forgot to flip the switch before starting the truck. so maybe trace the wires make sure its nor frayed or smashed somewhere and grounding out

Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Beginning Member

I will give it a try. There's a lot of wires under that hood ha ha but it will be worth it to hopefully get it working again.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member
mark71j is on a distinguished road

How'd that turn out?

Old 03-23-2021, 06:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering you bumped a thread having it's most recent reply 8+ years ago, I'm going to go out on a limb and say your chances of getting an answer are slim... Please be aware of the age of the threads you are replying to when asking these simple questions and not adding anything to the thread in question. While it would be nice if the OP had given resolution, asking for said resolution years later is likely not to happen.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Beginning Member
mark71j is on a distinguished road

I'm starting to see why there are so many one post and done new members on this site. Cheers

Old 03-23-2021, 03:01 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Old 03-24-2021, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member

Wow, I can't believe I never responded to this thread! I'm sorry for my poor etiquette! I tried one of the solutions above, it wound up being the tach wire that was frayed and grounding out. Once I covered that up, it worked great!

Quick Reply: Tach wire stalls Blazer