Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

tailgate tail lights anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member
AleroBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default tailgate tail lights anyone?

hey everyone, okay so not sure if im posting this in the right section, and i tried searching a few threads, but couldnt find any info on this, im sure someone else has thought it this idea, and i was pretty sure i did see this idea in here before lol, but has any of you thought about putting a tailgate taillight? like you see on some full size gmc's or chevy trucks? i was thinkin something like this one would look really good on a 2nd gen blazer:

49" RUNNING+BRAKE+TURN SIGNAL+REVERSE LED TAIL GATE RED LIGHT BAR PICKUP TRUCK | eBay

it has it all, turn/reverse/brake, etc etc, im just not sure, because 49" is to short, and the 60" ones are too big, i measured mine, it's 53" from end cap to end cap

so in short, my question is, has anyone tried this? would it work? ( i mean it should right? )... thank you for your time

Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

2" short on either side isn't too mucking fuch. The 49" strip would work just fine IMO. Just center it off & mount it.
If you're talented enough cut the tube it's in, hook up a mirror image of the wiring to the other side, seal the ends & make 2 seperate strips, 1 for each side.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i was thinking that too, about just centering it off, but couldnt picture it in my head if it would look dumb because there would be gaps. cutting i'd be a little hesitant, but would probs do it if i had to. i think it should work fine though, lol i just wanted something to look different from the rear, never seen another blazer/jimmy with it around here. thanks rottidog

Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

my buddy has one on his. looks great. ONLY reason I dont have one is I have a rear spare tire carrier and it has the tire lowering plate. So the tire would cover up the middle of the bar.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AleroBlazer
yeah i was thinking that too, about just centering it off, but couldnt picture it in my head if it would look dumb because there would be gaps. cutting i'd be a little hesitant, but would probs do it if i had to. i think it should work fine though, lol i just wanted something to look different from the rear, never seen another blazer/jimmy with it around here. thanks rottidog
Yeah 2" is nothing really (unless you're talking to a woman).
2" on either side - who'd notice really except for you?
It would look good centered.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

heres the one i have on mine its a 48 inch.

Attached Thumbnails tailgate tail lights anyone?-pie.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

I have one on my Pathfinder, they fit well under a hatch. Plan to eventually get one for the Blazer but I'm cheap and have other things to address first...

Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Beginning Member

HcHawks09 - yeh i wanted to lower my tire carrier at some point too, but i think once i lift the blazer a few inchs though, people in cars and still see the lights, people in trucks, not so much still i think

Rottidog - lmao so true rottidog!... wouldnt be something to brag about lol

Redneck44244 - OMG!! i knew i saw one on here some where! lol, i should of checked people's pic garages lol. yeh that looks good, if your's is 48" another 1" will look pretty much the same. is your's just a brake light?? or is it a reverse/turn light too? thanks for the visual too!

nunya - yeh, ive been wanting one for awhile, i should put the money towards fixing the a/c but... thats what windows are for lol least for now

Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

AleroBlazer-thanks ya a 49 inch will work for sure and look fuller, and yes mine is a 5 function one to but mine has different yellow leds for the turnsignals instead just half the bar flashing for them.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I was looking at eventually doing this but those lights are about half a bill. And I also don't know how they would look under my spare tire carrier. I might do some more looking around, but I seriously thought buying some in the next few weeks.

Quick Reply: tailgate tail lights anyone?