Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Thinking of converting bulbs to LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:16 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking of converting bulbs to LEDs

Hey everyone. I am getting tired of these old fashioned bulbs, their high power usage and having to replace them. The old bulbs are quality bulbs (my car almost failed inspection on Friday because the small corner turn signal bulb burned out on the way to the shop and I believe that it was the one the car was built with 13 years ago), but their shortcomings and the advantages of LEDs (low power use, brighter for safety, lasts longer, more modern) are making me think about replacing them. I was looking at LED kits on eBay to upgrade the taillights, backup lights, license plate lights, front corner turn signal, front turn signal and front fog lights over the next few months. Maybe even the interior dome light bulbs since I already have LED lights that turn the interior blue at night that make my current dome lights look like they are as bright as if they have candles behind them. I realize that the taillights are 3157, but where can I find the numbers for the rest of them? They have good deals on the eBay bulbs. So much better than Pep Boys with their selection and price (I call it the "Walmart" of auto repair, but the "Lord and Taylor" of auto accessories).

Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have one thing backwards with your advantages. LED bulbs are often NOT brighter than their incandescent counterpart and if they are, the LED bulb will be $$$. Another thing to add is that LED's output is highly directional where incandescent bulbs cast a fairly uniform light. Things to think about.

If you swap to all LED's for your turn signals, you'll have to either mod your flasher (search "led+flasher+mod") or get load resistors to stop the hyper flashing effect due to the reduced circuit amperage. Load resistors pretty much cancel out one of the positives you mentioned which is the low current requirement.

As far as the numbers go, check out sylvania's website (google "sylvania bulb guide"). That'll give you a complete list.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Oh wow. I mean the assemblies that have dozens of bulbs like :4X T20 3157 45-SMD WHITE TURN SIGNAL LED LIGHT BULB | eBay

I think I will go with the flasher mod. I am trying to reduce the power usage because with all of the lights on, the voltmeter dips. Alternator and battery are new. Don't want to get a bigger alternator to increase the amps, so I am trying to make do with what I already have.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Straight from that auction page:
Please note: LED bulbs are not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs but they are longer lasting and have a more vivid color.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Oops. Didn't read that part. I saw the Pep Boys LEDs that claimed they were brighter and assumed they were all the same crap originally. Thanks

Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Beginning Member
loudblazer21 is on a distinguished road

i put led 194 bulbs in headlight housing's havent had problem yet with fast flashing knock on wood lol.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Superbrightleds.com has some high powered led bulbs that they say are just as bright as incandesents, if not a little brighter. But as swartlkk said they are about $25 for one bulb so...

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Starting Member
killallblue is on a distinguished road

I got the 5wqys from superbrightled.com there brighter then stock but my car runs at 15.4 most days and the 5 ways spread light nicely http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/ed31cde3.jpg

Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by killallblue
I got the 5wqys from superbrightled.com there brighter then stock but my car runs at 15.4 most days and the 5 ways spread light nicely http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/ed31cde3.jpg
How did you do all that?! You can put LEDs in the cluster? I was looking at doing something to the cluster to make it look nicer, but I thought my options were limited on that. Is there an article on pulling the cluster and doing that?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by killallblue
Wait which ones did you get?
Was it these? High Power SMD WLED-xHP5 (194 type) 360 degree Wedge Base bulbs Specifications

Quick Reply: Thinking of converting bulbs to LEDs