Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Why is iT ALL SO HOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 04:45 PM
itsjoshman is on a distinguished road
Question Why is iT ALL SO HOT

Got a 2000 Blazer here, and I will be just starting the truck up, or ill be going down the road at 50, or merging into a turn lane and slowing up and my parking break light and ABS light come on. But thats not all. My gas gauge and temp gauge will be all the way up at half way when the truck doesnt even have a key in it, and ill flick the high beams on and theyll drop to nothing, and slowly climb back up after a half a minute or so. But even worse, ill go to change the radio station to another preset, or turn my air up, and my buttons and ***** will be burning my fingertips up. I put a CD in the reader and as soon as my mom got in she could smell it burning up. Am I gonna have to trace the entire wiring system for the problem?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Is it an aftermarket stereo system? I don't know what year they started putting CD players in. If it is aftermarket was it wired through the fuze block? If so, I'd try pulling the radio fuze and then doing some test driving. If it isn't wired through the fuse block, I'd try disconnecting the power to the stereo (and any other stereo components that are powered) to see if there is any difference.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rockp2
Is it an aftermarket stereo system? I don't know what year they started putting CD players in. If it is aftermarket was it wired through the fuze block? If so, I'd try pulling the radio fuze and then doing some test driving. If it isn't wired through the fuse block, I'd try disconnecting the power to the stereo (and any other stereo components that are powered) to see if there is any difference.
It is the stock radio, but this one did have some kind of alarm system installed by best buy, a blackcat I believe? does that make a difference?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 AM

Where does the alarm system draw it's power from? Is there a fuse that can be pulled to see if it is the culprit? From what I have learned, many times electrical problems can be traced to after market items installed incorrectly.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:56 PM

Where does the alarm system draw it's power from? Is there a fuse that can be pulled to see if it is the culprit? From what I have learned, many times electrical problems can be traced to after market items installed incorrectly.
It goes to the inside fuse panel, but Im not sure what fuse it would be

Old 08-30-2016, 04:16 PM

1. Pull in to your least favorite neighbors driveway.
2. Set off the alarm.
3. Pull fuses and replace one at a time (taking a 30 second break between each one), until the alarm stops.

Seriously though, you can do a continuity check to find the correct fuse. Just put your DVOM into continuity mode, probe the wire (pierce the coating) with one lead and use the other to touch the back of each fuse until you get a tone. If you look close at your fuses you'll see that both metal legs of mini fuses extend to the top of the fuse and are not covered by the plastic casing. Saves from having to actually pulling a fuse out to do any kind of check.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 PM

1. Pull in to your least favorite neighbors driveway.
2. Set off the alarm.
3. Pull fuses and replace one at a time (taking a 30 second break between each one), until the alarm stops.

Seriously though, you can do a continuity check to find the correct fuse. Just put your DVOM into continuity mode, probe the wire (pierce the coating) with one lead and use the other to touch the back of each fuse until you get a tone. If you look close at your fuses you'll see that both metal legs of mini fuses extend to the top of the fuse and are not covered by the plastic casing. Saves from having to actually pulling a fuse out to do any kind of check.
I do hate to say, I have no remote for the system and I have no real idea of the system at all. I just bought it from someone who didn't even know it was installed. I can gather pictures tomorrow when I get a chance of the little box and all the ugly mess of wires

Old 08-31-2016, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

If you have no remote for it, you can always trace all the wires where they are tapped and spliced and reconnect everything to how it should be factory.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
If you have no remote for it, you can always trace all the wires where they are tapped and spliced and reconnect everything to how it should be factory.
and how would I go about that? Taking out the dash?