Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Why the Incandescent Test Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 09:28 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough
Default Why the Incandescent Test Lamp

In the video linked I thought it might be useful to some folks just starting out diagnosing to see what a necessary tool the Incandescent Test lamp is when compared to LED. If you can get past my terrible acting ability and the hokey device I put together, hopefully you might find the point itself very useful in the demonstration.

While there are uses for the LED and times it might be necessary, you will also see how it can give you false positives and send you on a wild goose chase. The Incandescent Lamp (IL) is as useful to troubleshooting as anything else. As good as using a meter? No. Voltage Drop testing with a meter is more accurate troubleshooting circuits. But even then, the IL can used in conjunction with the meter as the load itself. An LED in general won't do that.

I made the video so folks could see a visual instead of me taking up all kinds of space making the argument for the IL over the LED.

Again, my most profound apologies for the quality and narration, but hopefully the more important points will come across.

(First time doing this whole YouTube video thing..hope it works )

Note: I know in the video I state to ask any questions in the comments...I meant to say reply in the thread.