Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

*LANGUAGE* adam carolla on occupy wall street

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default *LANGUAGE* adam carolla on occupy wall street

ok, fair warning...if you dont know adam carolla be warned explicit material...but i cant help but smack my head and say right on!!!

Adam Carolla explains the OWS Generation - YouTube

Last edited by oktain; 12-01-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Changed title to give fair warning of language in video.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default He does not get it

The top 1% messed up the economy. The top 1 dictates how long parents are working and not available to family. The middle class and lower class values are torn apart by this. Corporatism is bad. I tried to call for new service with AT&T today. A potential new customer. I was on the phone for 10 minutes and did not get to speak to a live person. I listened to the messages of how they were hiring sales workers while I waited. I hung up. I was rocking and rolling with a good job, a nice home, nice cars and rental properties. I was way within my means. Renters lost their jobs so no income from rental properties. I lost my job then and when my savings was done the bank started in on me. They got bailed out but I lost everything. Everything!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

while i can honestly say i have not lost everything...and i am sorry to hear that you did. i myself have been unemployed for over a year at one time in my life...i am thankful that i was single at the time...i cant imagine having to support a family in that condition.

i posted the video because i believe that it addressed the idea that "one is owed something merely for showing up".
what happened to working for what you have and being proud of it?
like he stated in the video...giving kids an award for just being there?? what happened to trying and rewarding achievement?
in human history there have been and will always be those with power and wealth and those without. now is no different.
instead of monarchies we have corporations..where as the king/queen provided you the "opportunities" while they sat in the castle.
where as now...i need a company to provide a service/good which in turn provides me a job..which allows me to earn income to support myself and buy goods/services to maintain the chain.
you may not like your "link" in the chain...many dont. but i dont know of very many countries that provide you with the opportunities we have here.

even our poor have it better then most of the world..

".....Comparing between countries we see that the poorest 5% of Americans are among the richest people in the world (richer than nearly 70% of other people in the world). The poorest 5% of Americans, for example, are richer than the richest 5% of Indians....."

sources....

World Income Inequality

i often hear that i am naive because of my age " i dont know things"
what i know can be debated...and i can and will be wrong from time to time.
but what i believe is this...we have it so good here that we dont know what to do with ourselves.

i work in grocery stores all day and in Michigan "bridge cards" are credited at the beginning of every month.
i notice several things with this crowd of shoppers.
one...their carts have better food in it then i can afford
two...the tend to not show any pride in appearance
three...are some of the rudest people i run into while at work.

while these are generalizations on my part...i see the pattern.

the company i work for provides a good...i get a job to distribute said goods....govt taxes my income....gives a portion of said taxes to welfare recipients....those recipients buy the goods i distribute...the company i work for earns a profit...i continue to work because of said profits...my income is taxed...

and well you see the pattern. now i ask you where is the weak link in that chain??
i am not without compassion...everyone falls sometimes...but when you refuse to get back up and just lay there....then we have a problem.

the cart is getting to heavy for the horse to pull. look at Europe. government, any government that continues to outspend its ability to collect revenue will wind up like that. i fear that we are not far behind.

and like i said at the beginning, i am sorry that you lost everything, but given human history i feel that corporatism is the best idea we have had so far.
it gets my vote over a medieval serfdom any day.

i have no doubt that this will be locked soon. i did not want to get into a political argument with friends...just had to vent and put this out there.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
while i can honestly say i have not lost everything...and i am sorry to hear that you did. i myself have been unemployed for over a year at one time in my life...i am thankful that i was single at the time...i cant imagine having to support a family in that condition.

i posted the video because i believe that it addressed the idea that "one is owed something merely for showing up".
what happened to working for what you have and being proud of it?
like he stated in the video...giving kids an award for just being there?? what happened to trying and rewarding achievement?
in human history there have been and will always be those with power and wealth and those without. now is no different.
instead of monarchies we have corporations..where as the king/queen provided you the "opportunities" while they sat in the castle.
where as now...i need a company to provide a service/good which in turn provides me a job..which allows me to earn income to support myself and buy goods/services to maintain the chain.
you may not like your "link" in the chain...many dont. but i dont know of very many countries that provide you with the opportunities we have here.

even our poor have it better then most of the world..

".....Comparing between countries we see that the poorest 5% of Americans are among the richest people in the world (richer than nearly 70% of other people in the world). The poorest 5% of Americans, for example, are richer than the richest 5% of Indians....."

sources....

World Income Inequality

i often hear that i am naive because of my age " i dont know things"
what i know can be debated...and i can and will be wrong from time to time.
but what i believe is this...we have it so good here that we dont know what to do with ourselves.

i work in grocery stores all day and in Michigan "bridge cards" are credited at the beginning of every month.
i notice several things with this crowd of shoppers.
one...their carts have better food in it then i can afford
two...the tend to not show any pride in appearance
three...are some of the rudest people i run into while at work.

while these are generalizations on my part...i see the pattern.

the company i work for provides a good...i get a job to distribute said goods....govt taxes my income....gives a portion of said taxes to welfare recipients....those recipients buy the goods i distribute...the company i work for earns a profit...i continue to work because of said profits...my income is taxed...

and well you see the pattern. now i ask you where is the weak link in that chain??
i am not without compassion...everyone falls sometimes...but when you refuse to get back up and just lay there....then we have a problem.

the cart is getting to heavy for the horse to pull. look at Europe. government, any government that continues to outspend its ability to collect revenue will wind up like that. i fear that we are not far behind.

and like i said at the beginning, i am sorry that you lost everything, but given human history i feel that corporatism is the best idea we have had so far.
it gets my vote over a medieval serfdom any day.

i have no doubt that this will be locked soon. i did not want to get into a political argument with friends...just had to vent and put this out there.

i agree with you

i got laid off 2 months ago and i understand what you been going threw

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

*Changed title to provide warning of language in video*

As you were

Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
LS178bu is on a distinguished road
Default Adam had my attention until.....

he started dropping the bomb consistently. He was making some good points up to that.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

He's right on about the "fair share" nonsense. I'm in this generation as well, and I work hard for what I make, never ask or demand more. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. 1% of 300,000,000 people is still 3,000,000 people. Most of these 3,000,000 people are just well-to-do and worked their asses of to get where they are. The anger needs to be focused on that 0.01% (politicians on both sides, certain bank/corporate execs.) that were propped up when they made crappy decisions, instead of focusing on all people that make 6 figures and cut huge checks every year for taxes. Everyone I know that makes 6 figures/year deserved what they've got through education, hard work, and a whole lot of risk, and I hope one day I can be as successful as them.

I know these people he's talking about. The people that were never told to work harder. The people that were told that they're great at everything they do. I was one of them. They were in my classes. I thought I deserved everything. I was lucky to snap out of it before this collapse and keep my head on straight instead of looking at the boss like I deserve everything he has.

Watch some of the kids on MTV that have sweet 16 parties, that just aren't satisfied with a C class Mercedes for their birthday present. This is how 80% of our generation thinks.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran

i agree ^^^^^^