Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

1st gen Blazer's useless?!? PART IT OUT??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member
bbgoatboy is on a distinguished road
Default 1st gen Blazer's useless?!? PART IT OUT??

Ok so I got this blazer - long story.

1987 2.8 4x4. Truck is pretty solid. Nice paint metal so on.

However the more I look at the truck I am thinking. Why put money into it? No one is after these ones. I have a couple other rigs.

I am in Oregon. I am into the rig already close to 700.00. I figure 10.00 -200.00 for parts. Should be able to recover my losses.

I am thinking of parting it out. WHAT SAY THE FORUM?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about nobody being after a 1st gen I have a neighbor thats been hounding me for over a year to sell him mine for 5k and I absolutely refuse, IMO 1st gen was the best blazer they ever made. More to the point it's all about what YOU want, who cares if someone else wants it if you like it go nuts make it what you want if you don't then cut your losses and move onto something else. But for god's sake if the body is in that good of shape don't turn into a pile of parts sell it whole and let it live on with someone else.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I would agree with Outsyder and I've also had a few people wanting to buy my first gen and I know a few more wanting one. But, It is totally up to you It's your money.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree, sell it outright.

Good luck parting it out. I dont know anybody that wants the 2putt8 and the tranny behind it doesnt fit anything else.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member

I like the full size blazers. This trucks body is GREAT. Most the metal is pretty solid and straight. The engine and trans are what they are. The motor and trans will be removed either way.

I think I would like to go full size older blazers. But would need to part this one as selling it whole I don't think will help me achieve enough to buy a full size. Unless someone wants to trade (not likely though).

I will try to link in some photos. I like the truck it is a blast to bomb around in. it needs brakes (no brakes but ebrake). It is not by any means mint, I would like to make enough off this one to get to full size 87 or older.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I say fix it, put a 350 in it, then love it... but that's just me. Even parting it out, how much more are you going to make?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

So did it start it's like red? I need some 2.8 motor mounts for my v8 swap

Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bbgoatboy
I like the full size blazers. This trucks body is GREAT. Most the metal is pretty solid and straight. The engine and trans are what they are. The motor and trans will be removed either way.

I think I would like to go full size older blazers. But would need to part this one as selling it whole I don't think will help me achieve enough to buy a full size. Unless someone wants to trade (not likely though).

I will try to link in some photos. I like the truck it is a blast to bomb around in. it needs brakes (no brakes but ebrake). It is not by any means mint, I would like to make enough off this one to get to full size 87 or older.
couple of things, since i always like to give my nickel's worth.

1) why remove the driveline if you're gonna sell the truck as a whole?

makes no sense .

2) same goes for parting it out. you're gonna make about the same whole or parted out. why? 'cause it's a 2.8 truck, it's 23+ years old (even if it's in GREAT shape), and 99.9999% of the population ain't gonna see the GREATness in a really clean 1st gen.

i don't know how you honestly think a 1st gen is gona pay for a K5. if it does, it'll be for 1 of 2 reasons. either they overpaid you for the 1st gen (which is always nice, but will never happen) or the K5 is in need of major chemotherapy (ie: major rust bucket).

3) why are you limiting yourself to '87 & older? do you have e-testing to worry about? you do know that K5 Blazer/Jimmy's ran right up to 'the 91 production year, right? (did you?) besides, getting past '87 you get better engines (TBI, better design) & updated tranys.

unless you're limiting the year of '87 'cause you like that grill/HL styling.

personally, just let 'er go-in one piece-to someone who will show her so luv, and move on to another project (like the K5).

Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i can see someone buying for a first vehicle for their kid or someone doing a v8 swap if the body and frame is good. ive always liked the 2.8 its been good to me.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by oktain
I say fix it, put a 350 in it, then love it... but that's just me. Even parting it out, how much more are you going to make?

I am not at a skill level to pull off a swap. Not saying I couldn't do it, I could, but it would not be pretty.

parting it out one could make around 1500.00 or so. That is selling the parts (not motor, trans and so on) for 10-20 each.

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
So did it start it's like red? I need some 2.8 motor mounts for my v8 swap
Yup, it was born a red one.

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
couple of things, since i always like to give my nickel's worth.

1) why remove the driveline if you're gonna sell the truck as a whole?

makes no sense .

2) same goes for parting it out. you're gonna make about the same whole or parted out. why? 'cause it's a 2.8 truck, it's 23+ years old (even if it's in GREAT shape), and 99.9999% of the population ain't gonna see the GREATness in a really clean 1st gen.

i don't know how you honestly think a 1st gen is gona pay for a K5. if it does, it'll be for 1 of 2 reasons. either they overpaid you for the 1st gen (which is always nice, but will never happen) or the K5 is in need of major chemotherapy (ie: major rust bucket).

3) why are you limiting yourself to '87 & older? do you have e-testing to worry about? you do know that K5 Blazer/Jimmy's ran right up to 'the 91 production year, right? (did you?) besides, getting past '87 you get better engines (TBI, better design) & updated tranys.

unless you're limiting the year of '87 'cause you like that grill/HL styling.

personally, just let 'er go-in one piece-to someone who will show her so luv, and move on to another project (like the K5).

I will try to address in order.

#1 - Don't know if I am going to sell as a complete vehicle. That is why I may remove it.

#2 Parting out vehicles make a person more. Complete vehicle right now, worth what? 700-1000. Parted out even at 10-20 a part (motor, trans, transfer more of course). I know of a couple K5’s that are pretty solid for around 1500-2000. I had a 84 K5 3 years ago, with a built 383. I bought it for 800.00 bucks from a farmer who had it in his barn. Lucky score really, but had to sell due to a family thing. Family is first, so then I got this blazer. It runs and drives, needs some work. Frame and body are pretty good.

#3 I would consider over 87 I am open minded. No e-testing where I live. I like the old school simple and less electronics the better. If someone wants to pay 1500.00 on the blazer they can have it. I won’t hold my breath on it though. I have parted out many vehicles. I have heard the same thing. On value as a complete vehicle compared to parts. It needs some work though, clean title.

I would love for this truck to go to a good home. I am not in a rush either way. Just getting feedback.

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-28-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the Multi-Quote feature if trying to reply to multiple people or just state their username...

Quick Reply: 1st gen Blazer's useless?!? PART IT OUT??