The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

2016 Chevy S10

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 01:54 PM
MacroMachine is on a distinguished road
Smile 2016 Chevy S10

This past weekend I was south of the border, picking up some relatives coming back from a flight. I was driving around Tijuana and as I was looking around I started seeing a lot of these small trucks, not paying much attention until I saw the badging. They were new Chevy S10 trucks. They are similarly designed like the Colorado, but they were definitely smaller. Exactly the same size as the previous generation S10.

It got me curious about them and I looked up for information and found that GM manufactured them for the 2016-17 years. I could not find 2018 and newer. Looking at the Chevy websites they all feature Silverado, Colorado and Cheyenne models of trucks. It makes me want to see about picking up a good used one (lol in Mexico) and driving it over here. But I don't know about the legality of permanent residence in California.

I think it's neat to see a model line continue on outside the US market.

Standard Cab

Full size crew cab

Old 05-19-2021, 02:13 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I just came across this, and hoping they do something for the north...

Old 05-19-2021, 04:29 PM
MacroMachine is on a distinguished road

Nice! I looked up how to import one and there is a bit of paperwork to be done. My understanding is it will be cheaper to import one made in Mexico versus importing from Japan. Vehicles made in Japan are subject to a DUTY Fee along with importation taxes. Cars made in Mexico and Canada do not pay duty fees, just importation taxes.

The only real issue would be the California emissions regulation. Those are some of the strictest in the country, so it would require to be "Federalised" in order to get license plates and be able to register it. Federalising is taking it to a mechanic and getting parts changed or upgraded in order to meet the state emission standards.

Makes me wish I lived in a state that wasn't so strict.