The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

4.8L vs 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 AM
Beginning Member
bjamick is on a distinguished road

This is the first I've ever heard of a 4.8 running better than a 5.3 of the same year. I just don't see that happening, unless weight is the difference (ext cab 5.3 vs RC 4.8).

The 5.3 and 4.8 share the same pistons and heads, the 5.3 just has a longer stroke. So no replacement for displacement, also both share the same size cam from the factory. From what I've seen on dyno's most stock 5.3 trucks put down a good bit more than a 4.8 powered truck. So I just don't see how a 4.8 could possibly pull better up top than the 5.3.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjamick
This is the first I've ever heard of a 4.8 running better than a 5.3 of the same year. I just don't see that happening, unless weight is the difference (ext cab 5.3 vs RC 4.8).

The 5.3 and 4.8 share the same pistons and heads, the 5.3 just has a longer stroke. So no replacement for displacement, also both share the same size cam from the factory. From what I've seen on dyno's most stock 5.3 trucks put down a good bit more than a 4.8 powered truck. So I just don't see how a 4.8 could possibly pull better up top than the 5.3.
The difference is 15 hp and most likely the gearing stock/stock. Unlike 4.8-5.3, 5.3-6.0 is around a 40-50 hp jump. I can read wikipedia as well and get the same answers.