Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Any 1 Lawnmower / Tractor freaks here ? =P

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

oh yea your right lol its a 52 ..... That was a bad typo sorry

Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Just got the '66 back from a motor rebuild and repaint:

That has caused my dad to start looking for a 510 to restore since that was the first tractor that my grandfather bought.

Dad ended up selling our 8640:

He replaced it with a much newer 9220. I don't have any pictures of the new tractor yet though.

Before we got out of farming, we had a 4430 & a 4230 as well as a 9510 4wd combine, and a bunch of other implements, planters, etc.
Wow...that 4020 is b-e-a-utiful! Ours is a 1970 and has the side console controls and the synchro range instead of the power shift. I kind of wish the fuel barrel was taken off of the front of ours and a double stack weight bracket was put on with original slab weights. And dang, I wish I would have known about all that equipment a lot earlier, we were looking for something like a 4430 to add to our fleet...was it two wheel drive or FWA? Cab or open station? Just out of curiosity lol

Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 4430 was 2wd with a cab & loader. It was used most for stacking straw with a farmhand accumulator system. Dad got out of farming almost 6 years ago now and has been doing drainage tile installation since to the tune of over half a million feet a year. I still help out with that when I can.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

the one that was recently rebuild is such a beauty kyle ...

I plan on restoring the 8n once we get our garage built

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The 4430 was 2wd with a cab & loader. It was used most for stacking straw with a farmhand accumulator system. Dad got out of farming almost 6 years ago now and has been doing drainage tile installation since to the tune of over half a million feet a year. I still help out with that when I can.
Oh my we would love a 4430 like. We kind of what something that we can get in a cab a little more, especially for spreading fertilizer, spraying, and planting with the no till drill. But call me old fashioned, I kinda enjoy being out in the open, unless the wind is just right to where all the dust rides right with ya when going in a particular direction, then it is just miserable. And that is quite the tiling operation to be doing in the ballpark of 95+ miles a year, very nice. Now I know why he wanted the 9220

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

He's kicking himself now though. The whole premise behind buying the 9220 was to have a backup tractor, tile plow, and grade control system. The 8640 was all setup with a dual slope laser for grade control. He was going to build another plow for the 9220 and get into aGPS based grade control with the new setup. Two weeks after taking delivery of the 9220, someone came along and evidently made him an offer he couldn't refuse on the 8640, old plow, & laser system as a package; all before he had another plow or any idea of what it took to run with the aGPS setup...

No real problem there, he was going on his normal March vacation in Myrtle Beach so the new plow should have been ready by the time he usually gets back. However he decides to get back from vacation early because the weather has been so nice, gets some training on the new GPS based system, and finds out that the new plow isn't done... Finally gets going and the rear drive coupling on the back of the engine ends up going bad one week in and it needs to be taken by trailer to the dealer for service. During the service, they find a final drive bearing that is bad and have to pull the engine to change that... After that's done (3 weeks total down time) & when he's on the way to pick up the tractor they call him and tell him that the valve cover is leaking... He's fuming so I wait a week before I rib him about selling the 8640.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by neo71665
Giovanni you might want to check the numbers on that 8n, they were only produced 1947-1952. The front sheetmetal and flathead is a n series but it can't be a 1959.
Yep, that 8N's a 1949, probably. The 1953 'Golden Jubilee, 'NAA'' {Ford's 50th anniv} was a beautiful thing.. and coveted. Went to OHV, like all the rest of Ford's engines. My old man sold his 9N {circa 1940} and bought a 1954.

Ford tractors and the Ford farm tractors history

Deere, cornering the market as they have now is sort of ironic. For year they lagged behind in technology but they offered economy, power and reliability.
From the early fifties, my dad's Olivers all had full hydraulics, Live PTO, and 6 cyls. Dad got his first Oliver 88 Diesel in 57. He bought a 1600 in 1963 but by that time JD hit the ground running in modernization and Oliver would soon fold.

And all the other makers that hung on, like International were irrelevant
I loved that 1600.

I've got a plain vanilla MTD built 19hp rider with a 42" deck. Plenty good considering we paid 500 bucks for it as an almost new Lowes 'return'

Last edited by pettyfog; 05-07-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 PM
BF Guru

Well I fabbed a hood and grille for it

Now imma finish priming it then let it sit i guess =P