Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Anyone else have fire around your town?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone else have fire around your town?

I just saw this going up the canyon about 10 miles away.
Name:  photobucket-2958-1341352235160.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  52.6 KB

Apperently the national guard has been mobilized. There has been fires around the valley all last week. This one started about 1 hr before I took this pic.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

i live in colorado....right now there are over a dozen...

Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 PM
247monster will become famous soon enough

holy *** thats alota smoke

Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Damn that's crazy!! We have a ton of storm damage from last Friday and still like 200k people without power but no fires!!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by serrasalmus
i live in colorado....right now there are over a dozen...
This.

It doesn't reek of smoke outside at the moment, which is rather unusual.

ETA - It does today (4th) tho. Wind must have shifted from yesterday

Last edited by wyzardd; 07-04-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Starting Member
50percentgenius is on a distinguished road

That's crazy. I've heard a lot from people in Colorado recently. I'm used to having grass fires and such here in Oklahoma but barely anything so far.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

We in a drought and burn ban. Last 2 weeks I've had to respond to more brush fires than we did the entire summer last year. Not understanding why county wide burn ban translates into its windy and dry but sure I can burn this pile of XXXX since its in my yard. They then want to get pissy when slapped with a fine. One idiot has 3 of them already and now a police baby sitter every few hours. At least it keeps the cops from getting paid to nap on the side of the road.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

I'm starting to see signs that a news department or two as well as some governmental agencies are salivating over the opportunity to ban firearms in forests because they're claiming some of these fires have been started by shooters. A deeper reading of the reports suggest that gunshots aren't directly responsible, exploding targets maybe and probably a few idiots chucking lit cigarettes or something, but I'm afraid there are some who will use this as an excuse to fulfill their ideological goals. They'll start by saying it's an emergency measure, no shooting just during this dry season, then maybe they'll lift the ban for hunting season. But it'll be back next summer because Colorado is never really damp. A dry autumn will cancel a hunting season and once they get away with that, that'll be the end of all hunting on federal land.

In 36 years of shooting in this semi-arid climate, I've never seen even the smallest fire started by a modern firearm.

(the preceding rant is brought to you by CBS. I saw an article on their site earlier that set me off. Family has been in Colorado since 1889 or so, which doesnbut are me special or anything, but East Coast journalists and politicians know what's best for us)

Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Well dang. Holy dark night rises that is some serious smoke! Hope they contain it soon for y'all! I've never seen any forest fire around here in Charlotte (although earlier this year, there was one at Uwharrie). Luckily the mountains soften the storms before they get here (usually).

Old 07-05-2012, 03:52 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Apperently they think someone parked a vehicle on some dry grass and it set the fire. Seems like common sense to not park a hot vehicle on grass, especially with how dry it's been this year, but I guess not.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have fire around your town?