Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Anyone like to hunt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Anyone like to hunt?

Share what kind of gun you use, what kind of hunting you like, and funny or cool hunting stories here!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:04 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I hunt

I use a mossberg 500 for small and big game and an remi 30.06 short barrel automatic for big game

yea they are great firearms Kinda sucks when you hunt thick woods with a scope tho

Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Sweet dude, i'm actually about to buy me a new remington 770 .30-06

Yeah .270 s are supposedly better for brush from what I've heard

Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

I love to hunt, seriously I belong to 3 hunting clubs in 3 different counties / hunting zones. At least 4 days a week I'm in the woods.
It's cool though, the owner of the company I work for is a big hunter also, we'll go before work, take off during the middle of the day and go, and sometimes just go all day, gotta love a salary job.

Took a 160lb 7 point buck and a 130lb doe already this year, looking now for someone to give the next one I take, I have no room to store anymore meat!

I hunt deer with a Mossberg 100 ATR 30.06 shooting 180 gr. Core Lokt bullets, let me tell you this thing is a tack driver!! Most fall right where they stand and I've never had one run more than 30 yards.

For small game like dove, squirrel, or rabbit I use a Mossberg 500

Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 AM

That is one heck of a nice gun, you live in northern GA? If so you should come up here to east TN and we can go on a hunting trip lol

Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gatorboy44
That is one heck of a nice gun, you live in northern GA? If so you should come up here to east TN and we can go on a hunting trip lol
Thanks man, it's now got a Bushnell Banner 60x40x14 scope on it, I love this rifle, by far the best one I've ever owned!
I went to buy a Remington 770, done all the research on it, knew the ballistics, and everything.
Guy at the counter handed it to me and said "that's a good gun, but we just got these in from Mossberg, you should check it out".
It feels more balanced and lighter than the Remington did, and turned out to be a tack driver round after round.
It does however kick like a rented mule!!

I'm down in east central Ga, right on the South Carolina border, but I travel to Chattanooga quite often, it's about a 3.5 hour drive.
For a weekend hunt though....
I'd be on the road in a heartbeat!

The same goes here, you get down here before the 1st of the year and I'll put you in a stand where I know you can knock one down.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I hunt elk and muleys in CO and my gun of choice is one of three. I've got a Rem 700 BDL and a Win Mod 70 pre-64, both in .270 Win. I swap them out each year but always bring both up so I always have a back up in case something happens.

The Rem is topped with a Ziess 3X9-40 and the Win with a Leupold 100th Anniversary 3X9-40.

My third choice is my Win Mod 94 in .32 Win Special for a brush/timber gun. I've also brought up my .30-40 Krag as a brush/timber gun. Neither have scopes for obvious reasons.

For birds, my Rem 870 Express Magnum 12 ga hands down, though when feeling a bit nostalgic I'll break out my Steven's side by side 12 ga. Been looking for a Browning 2000 for smaller birds, such as dove and quail. I'll get one eventually.

Oh, and a .270 is a TERRIBLE brush/timber gun. You want a much heavier and slower round that will not be affected as much by a twig or blade of grass.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

I hunt as much as I can which isnt all that much because I am in college. For deer I use a Browning A-Bolt .308. For dove I use a 12 gauge Remington 870.

I haven't gotten a chance to hunt yet. Looking forward to Opening Day of firearms in Maryland on Nov 26.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Deer rifle - Savage .243 100gr winchester soft points
Muzzle loader - CVA (can't remember the model) 50 cal 250gr shockwaves, 100gr powder
Shotgun - Remington 870 Express Rem. Copper solid 2 3/4 hollow point slugs

Today was Michigan's gun opener for deer. I was stuck at work

Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road

I love to deer hunt. Hunt in a ground blind set in a small area of standing corn stalks on my dad's farm ground that is between two woods, so there is a TON of deer traffic. This year the deer had a trail wore in the beans that was around 3 ft wide from one side to the other, so I have a great feeling about this up coming season in a couple weeks.

My gun of choice (my only one for that matter) is a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a rifled barrel, which is not currently the gun in this picture. I have my new Bushnell scope mounted on see thru rings, but it isn't sighted yet. I am excited since my laser bore-sight is supposed to be here tomorrow sometime. Last year I took a doe at 100 yds (give or take a few) with open sights...never again lol that was a lucky shot to say the least!

Quick Reply: Anyone like to hunt?