Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Black Friday?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Black Friday?

Anyone score anything good?

Me and the fiancee picked up the PS3 from walmart for her dad... pretty sweet deal... there were some other nice deals.... anyone else deal with the crowds?

(oh we ordered it online at 2:30am because we thought they would be sold out.... but we get to wally world... and there were probably 25 left.. LOL)

Old 11-27-2009, 11:21 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

I scored a Dell Ultra Sharp U2410 for $100 under list price and they threw in free shipping and a sound bar which was worth about $60

And from a different site I got two 750GB Western Digital 32mb cache, 7200 RPM hard drives, a RAID 1 card, a 120mm fan dampener, and two 80mm fan dampeners

Now I'm broke but happy at the steal of a price I got

Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 AM
blajeans is on a distinguished road

Could someone explain what Black friday is for an European?

Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by blajeans
Could someone explain what Black friday is for an European?
Black Friday = Excuse to fill up malls

Basically it is a marketing gimmick to get as many people in the stores as possible...

One infamous tactic is to advertise an insanely low price to get people in who want it, but then they only sold 1-5 so all the other people come in and are forced to buy other things if they want stuff

Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

it's the day after thanksgiving. traditionally this is the day of a huge sale/marketing blitz to sell you, john Q. Consumer crap at stupid low prices to get you geared up for christmas.
As wlorton said, the best stuff is usually in low numbers and gets bought up QUICK, so now you have wasted the day and are forced to by other stuff you didnt come for.

I camped out (sat on a bench with my iPod and a woobie), for 6 hours to get a 54" HD TV for under $500 2 or 3 years back. i was the second dude in line for it and there were 6 tv's total in the store. When the line backed up to over 70 people I was screwing with the guys behind me saying that at the price they were listed at, i was planning to buy 3 and then sell them for a slight profit. let me tell you, black friday is humanity at it's ugliest. they did not share my sense of humor. Thats less than $10 an inch baby! That TV has served me well.

I will NEVR do it again. (until PS4)

Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
it's the day after thanksgiving. traditionally this is the day of a huge sale/marketing blitz to sell you, john Q. Consumer crap at stupid low prices to get you geared up for christmas.
As wlorton said, the best stuff is usually in low numbers and gets bought up QUICK, so now you have wasted the day and are forced to by other stuff you didnt come for.

I camped out (sat on a bench with my iPod and a woobie), for 6 hours to get a 54" HD TV for under $500 2 or 3 years back. i was the second dude in line for it and there were 6 tv's total in the store. When the line backed up to over 70 people I was screwing with the guys behind me saying that at the price they were listed at, i was planning to buy 3 and then sell them for a slight profit. let me tell you, black friday is humanity at it's ugliest. they did not share my sense of humor. Thats less than $10 an inch baby! That TV has served me well.

I will NEVR do it again. (until PS4)

I'd much rather sit a home and order stuff online, granted the deals might not be as good but at least you're not going to die

Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 PM
blajeans is on a distinguished road

Aha, it sounds like "mellandagsrea" as we say here in Sweden.
The happening is the same as your Black Friday but we have between Christmas Day to New Years eve.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

And do you know where the name "Black Friday" came from?
Someone at the office was telling me it comes from the old days where everything sold after Thanksgiving for the rest of the year was profit to the company/store (ie in the Black). That was back when the books were kept in paper form and red ink meant negative amounts and black ink was profit.
Not sure if that's entirely true, but it sounds about right lol. Either way it's just a weekend for people to go CRAZY shopping and end up getting killed for it. I went out shopping today (we don't have Black Friday here either) and it was insane. I walked into Walmart and instantly forgot everything I was going there for lol. It was so busy I was just focuses on getting the F out of there. I hate this time of the year.

The Canadian equivalent to Black Friday would be Boxing Day (the day after Christmas). Sort of the same as yours Blajeans. The sales are CRAZY for Boxing Day.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

@ Beast: yeah but if you never try it, how will you know if you like the sensation of trampling another human being? Don't know until you try, and short of a full on riot, Black friday is a free excuse to walk over people to get to some $10 toys!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Starting Member
C.Blazer is on a distinguished road

I wish I had the cash to head south to get some toys. Although many stores up here slashed thier prices INSANELY to try and keep business in Canada, but alas, im poor and didnt get a thing.

Quick Reply: Black Friday?