Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Blazer sitting for 6 months, engine dies when put in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Simon Linnert is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer sitting for 6 months, engine dies when put in reverse.

Hello everyone.
I got a white 2001 blazer with 59.000 miles on it. It's in excellent condition. I drove it cross country from Oregon to New York in July with no issues. Then had the car sit still with family in Boston for 9 months.
had it jump started today. After idling for 30 minutes, I put the transmission in reverse to get it out of the driveway and as soon as i move the lever to reverse the engine immediately shuts down.

The battery just dead and the transmission won't work without a fully charged battery? or anyone has a take on this?

I'll put a new battery in next week and see if that does it, but since i'm coming up all the way from NYC I'm curious if anyone have another clue to what' going on.

Last edited by Simon Linnert; 04-30-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Tiny adjust
Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Jydjohn0915 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello...

Originally Posted by Simon Linnert
Hello everyone.
I got a white 2001 blazer with 59.000 miles on it. It's in excellent condition. I drove it cross country from Oregon to New York in July with no issues. Then had the car sit still with family in Boston for 9 months.
had it jump started today. After idling for 30 minutes, I put the transmission in reverse to get it out of the driveway and as soon as i move the lever to reverse the engine immediately shuts down.

The battery just dead and the transmission won't work without a fully charged battery? or anyone has a take on this?

I'll put a new battery in next week and see if that does it, but since i'm coming up all the way from NYC I'm curious if anyone have another clue to what' going on.
i have seen this issue on many gms over the years, bad torque converter lock up. Try unplugging the plug on trans... Believe it's a 4 wire square plug. If it works, no harm driving, just wont have overdrive

Old 06-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I had a bad lockup solenoid on my Hurst/Olds years ago , it stayed locked and dragged the engine to a stall when you stopped ...like a standard transmission that the clutch was not pushed in.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 AM
Jydjohn0915 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jydjohn0915
i have seen this issue on many gms over the years, bad torque converter lock up. Try unplugging the plug on trans... Believe it's a 4 wire square plug. If it works, no harm driving, just wont have overdrive
Just realized yours would be electronic trans... Dont think this trick would work with those