Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Boy, Subaru's are something else.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:16 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile Boy, Subaru's are something else.

A friend of mine has been having some real life problems. He asked me if I would go to a town 250 miles away to help him get some of his things including his two cow dog's. He is a working cowboy & uses his dogs when he works cattle on the ranges.
So I told him I would be glad to help him.
Well, we set up a meeting place 100 miles from where we each live. Then we had a 300 mile round trip to get his stuff.
So we meet I have our Blazer & my Service Dog, & he shows up with his older Subaru wagon. Well we set off & everything is going slow but OK he can only travel about 60 mph. But we have all day & we aren't in any hurry. We get the first 70 miles covered & he pulls over in this little town. He tells me the transmission is making bad noise & the gear shift had dropped down & he was having trouble finding gears. Well in this little town I knew people there so one of the towns people let us leave his car at his place & we jumped into the Blazer to travel to our destination 75 miles further on. Well we get the dogs & a few things he needed & he mades arrangements to pick up the rest of his stuff next month. So we head out back to the town we left his car. Around 5pm tonight we get back check all the fluid levels & head out for our homes. I was going to follow him back to where we met that morning he would go his way & I mine.
Well 10 miles down the road he hears a loud bang & stops & oil running out the rear of transmission. I look & the rear driveshaft is broke off & the yoke is broken off along with the shifter mount is broke from the driveshaft beating it.
Well we jack it up disconnect the driveline from the rear end & tie it up. Fill it up with oil & take off. Well this Subaru goes 65 miles with oil leaking out the rear of the trans. We stop & fill it up but have to stop on the down side of mountain passes so the oil will run forward & not just run out. He only had 4th gear.
Anyway he made it home like that driving 55-60 mph.
I could not believe that that car would run with part of the rear of the tranny broke off. Most of the time the tranny had to be empty of oil.
I thought in my old age I had seen everything at least once, but I guess Subaru's will run forever no matter how beat up & broken they are. This car has over 250,000 miles.
Sorry for the long post but that just blew my mind.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 AM
GP1
GP1 is on a distinguished road

Subaru's are great cars. A lot of my friends have em' and just rave about them.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

What subaru is it?
I have been flirting with the idea of getting an older one..only thing i have found that was bad was the heads going in the 4cyl...otherwise they seem solid

Old 05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
What subaru is it?
I have been flirting with the idea of getting an older one..only thing i have found that was bad was the heads going in the 4cyl...otherwise they seem solid
I have no idea. He paid $250 for it, A friend of his in Montana has a bunch of these old farm cars. Maybe the heads go bad because of too much service & care. This thing leaks oil from places oil should even be. Timing belt was the only issues he has had & only one of those. He never changes oil just adds it. The word "vehicle service" is not in his vocabulary. Run them until they quit then go to Montana with a few hundred dollars & get another one. The last one that blew the engine he drove for 4 years.
It was a 4x4 station wagon. I'm not sure they even had different models in the year that was other than a wagon, Brat, sedan.
I'm not even sure what year it is. But man I was amazed. He called me this morning & said it is still going. The last $200 one he had went over 350,000 miles then the engine blew up. I mean these cars were rode hard from day one. Dried cow crap falling off the undercarriage. Packed in the wheels was mud & straw. I was thinking maybe I should go buy a few of these see how far they will run.
Subaru should contact my friend & do a commercial. "Built Subaru Tough".

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 05-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.