Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

CARFAX Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road
Default CARFAX Anyone?

Hey all... I have a request from anyone that has a Carfax membership. I stumbled upon a car that will be auctioned off tomorrow morning due to a garage lien (short notice I know). I would be very grateful if I could get the VIN run. The car is not gonna come cheap (Mercedes Benz), so I wanna make sure it is okay.
The VIN is as follows... WDBRF81J73F340340
Again, sorry about the sort notice, but if someone who can help see's this and can run it, it would be a big help.
Thanks, and if you need it, I will pay-pal ya a couple bucks.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

well brent if no one runs that report and your going in almost blind. i'd run a basic vin decoder and cross reference it with whats on the vehicle. i know it isn't bulletproof, but like i said if you don't get the report. here are the dirt basics i found when i ran a basic vin. if you use the vin decoder on this forum it should turn up a more detailed search.
good luck and i hope someone can run the report for you
  • We found 17 records for this vehicle.
  • Style / Body: Sedan 4D
  • Engine: 2.6L V6 EFI
  • Country of Assembly: Germany
  • Model: C Class C240

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Well I also ran a VIN check.
Carfax sez...

VIN WDBRF81J73F340340
Year/Make/Model: 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ C240 M AWD
Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR
Engine Type: 2.6L V6 SFI SOHC 18V
Manufactured In: GERMANY
Search Results: 32 records found in our database IMPORTANT! The 32 records on this 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ C240 M AWD may confirm a clean title history or uncover potential problems. Find out by ordering the CARFAX Vehicle History Report.

I'll see if I know someone who can give you a complete record check.
I wish I knew about this yesterday because I think my Auto Tech teacher can do a complete record check.

Last edited by cbr995; 02-22-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. I did run the free basic one, and I saw one said 17, and one said 32 records. I know from previous carfax reports that almost everything throws a flag for a report. Just registering it makes a report show up, so the high number may be nothing important, but I would like to know without dropping $30 bucks.
The car was in for a new transmission, and they never came back for it after the work was done. It is clean. I may be able to get it for around $4500... it sells all day for $13,000 on the used car lot.
Anyone know how it works if the owner had a bank lien on it? Would I be on the hook for it if there is one? Never bought one like this before.

Last edited by LuvMyTJ; 02-22-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

mine was done through dmv website. carfax is more accurate

also a report could mean something as simple as an oil change

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 02-22-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Carfax shows everything. Registration, lien, title issue, dealership visits, you name it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the carfax, I do see a problem though in 2004

Accident reported
Vehicle involved in collision
which resulted in submersion

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WDBRF81J73F340340.pdf (164.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM

You da man! Thank you so much for the report... the members here are by far some of the best internet buddies you could ask for! Let me know if ya need something for it.

So it has been submerged... in water??? Damn... looks like all is well since it happened when it was 1 year old. Seems to be OK since then. An awful lot of random wire replacements over the years. I heard these had some known electrical issues, so I don't know if that is a water damage issue. Is the police report clickable? The links don't work on the PDF.
Again, thank you! I think I will go back down there in the morning and see if anyone else shows up to buy it. Check out the dubs! LOL

Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by c0a8l0v6i8n9
I have the carfax, I do see a problem though in 2004

Accident reported
Vehicle involved in collision
which resulted in submersion
hey while were on the carfax topic. i had a car when i was 16 that i though was in a wreck. for old times sake do you think you could run one for 1G3NF52EOYC395317

*Brent if everything checks out and you can get a reasonable deal for it i think it would be allright since alot of the wiring was redone. all depends on how much damage was done. you notice any water damage on the carpet?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Well, it was hard to see today as I didn't have my flashlight along, and it was under a car rack, that had a car on it, so it was kinda dark. It has been sitting there for 3 months and the battery was dead, so no interior lights. I did not notice any issues inside, and it has the light grey interior. I will check it out closer tomorrow. They said they would get it out and running in the morning. The auction is at 9:00am. I would think that a 1 year old Mercedes that had the same original owner till 2007 would of been repaired correctly. If it was botched, you would of thought the original owner would of traded it for another... but who knows. And whats up with the freaky keys they use?

Quick Reply: CARFAX Anyone?