Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Character Check!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Default Character Check!

Recently on a soccer forum:
About a month ago I got hit on my way home from work by an uninsured motorist. Since then, I've been on the prowl searching for a reliable used car that can suit me just fine for commuting.

I have narrowed it down to two and I would like to hear some advice from anyone that knows more about cars than me -- which should be a lot.

The first one is a 2009 Honda Civic LX w/ 23k miles on it. There is one owner and there only seems to be normal wear and tear on the car. Is it worth purchasing at $13,100?

The second car is a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta S w/ 33k miles on it. One owner (leased) and this one is from a dealership that "certified" it. Is it worth purchasing at 15k?

I have already done research at NADA and KBB. I just want some confidence from the crew faithful. Too high of price? Which car is the better one?

Thank you guys!
several weighed in with opinions that avoided the real issue: The guy has to live with the car a fair amount of each day.
So, I addressed that:
Reliability wise, the Honda hands down.
VW/audi may be the most overrated mfr in the world over the last 50 years!!!!

But it depends largely on whether or not you enjoy driving.

Cars are like shoes, they either fit or they dont. and that's a subjective thing.
If when you first get into the car and it doesnt seem quite right, dont expect to feel better about it when you have driven it a while.

I'm not saying that the Jetta should make you feel more at home than the Honda.. it could be the opposite. just saying to take that into consideration.

I bought a 99 Bravada {upscale Blazer} a few months ago and if you only look at reliability the thing's a hood-up, on-jackstand,wheels-off, gas guzzling turd.
- If you dont get that, A friend wont sell a friend who's living paycheck to paycheck a Blazer.. he wont even let him sit in one.

But there's something about them make you love em. And I'm a Ford guy.. luckily I also bought another 93 Tbird to run for parts. Fortunately, the Blazer parts {except for fuel pumps and you HAVE to use the OEM} are pretty cheap, that's what high volume aftermarket does for ya. And if you wrench yourself, not too bad a hit.
So let's address the issue I highlighted.. hypothetical:

You have a friend who has a 2 child family with one more on the way and his one car, the venerable early eighties Volare, commited suicide.

You're in the south so rust isnt an issue, He has some money from parents to help with a new vehicle and he's trying to decide between a 97 Ford Aerostar XLT or a 99 Olds bravada. Both have about 110 K miles and are in good condition interior and exterior.
The trans on the Aerostar has been replaced by dealer, the Brava's Fuel pump and Spider have been replaced by dealer.

He doesnt wrench and he's living paycheck to paycheck, praying he doesnt get laid off. He of course prefers the Bravada. The wife only wants something that's reliable and she doesnt have to wrestle kids into.

He's a really good friend.

Now that's a loaded question because I know about Aerostars but it's not hard to research, either.

Which way would you advise him... and dont add contingencies! All the decision points are made above.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-17-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

If it were me I'd choose an '86 Grand Marquis or Crown Vic - most reliable vehicles on the planet. 20 mpg highway too if your easy on it. Can be bought for under a grand, & insurance/taxes are low due to it's age. Parts are cheap, it's easy to fix, & it'll fit a whole bunch of rugrats in the backseat. It's a win-win.

Living paycheck to paycheck I couldn't recommend any SUV. Sorry. Been there, done that.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Not a lot of help with your scenario, but I wouldn't recommend any vehicle that I didn't know something about. I will tell my friend the pro's and con's of a vehicle I do know and let them know I don't have a clue on something I'm not familiar with.