Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Chevy Cruze vs Volksy Jetta? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default Chevy Cruze vs Volksy Jetta? Opinions?

Hey guys. I've been looking at new cars lately since I need something a lot better on gas. Motorcycles used to be in the talk as well, but everybody around me says not to get one because they value my life(I do as well). Getting back on topic, I've had my eye on two vehicles.

Anyone have any opinions or experiences with these two vehicles? Any other car suggestions? I'm looking for fuel efficient.

Chevy Cruze Eco
- 1.4 Liter 4 banger with a turbo
- Rated 42 mpg highway
- Nice styling for a compact car
- Nice whistle from turbo?

Volksy Jetta TDI
- 2.0 Liter 4 banger turbo diesel
- 236 pound feet of torque (Impressive)
- 42 mpg highway
- Nice whistle from turbo and diesel has a nice hum to it
- Cost of diesel?
- Could get better mpg than epa stated

Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM
05canjimmy is on a distinguished road

personally i love the jetta tdi. supper reliable and they get amazing millage. my vote is to the vw

Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

We just bought a Trax LTZ with the 1.4 turbo, so its kinda funny this topic came up as it was the exact same dilemma we had - Jetta or Cruze. We went with the Trax LTZ... You cant even hear the turbo. Milage is amazing. We went to the deler to look at the Cruze, but got the Trax instead. The Cruze has a diesel option, but its impossible to get a diesel Cruze in canada, and you cant get a Trax in the US. We got this exact car. The Jetta was going to cost more to buy than the Cruze plus, diesel is 1.40/L here, gas is 1.05/L... We didnt like the Cruze as its only FWD and the Trax is AWD. Plus, we are like the only people in Camrose that own a Trax. The trax had factory 18 inch wheels, full leather interior, and was 28,000$ once everything was said and done like the extended warranty and all the add-ons... Fuel efficient, I drove 220km today in it for $15... Cant beat that. The same 220km in m silverado is $80.

Plus its going to look hot with the 20 inch wheels we are looking at on it...

Last edited by ohsofly; 04-19-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road

personally im in love with the buick regal, it has a manual option and a turbo 2.0l pushing almost 300hp and 300torques. I like the look of the cruze better than a jetta but ive herd you can get 1000km to a tank in a tdi witch is quite intriguing isnt it

Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I own the 2012 VW Jetta SE with the 5 cylinder 2.5L gas engine and 6 speed auto trans. It shares the same body style with all Jetta sedan models since 2011 to 2014. What I don't like about this body design is that it gives a terrible view out of the rear. The rear window is difficult to see out of with the rear headrests in the way and the height of the rear window makes it hard to see what's behind me. The roofline is so low that I have to lower the drivers seat to the floor as to keep from banging my head when getting in and out of the car. The placement of the rear view mirror that is attached to the windshield glass is always in the way and blocks my view of traffic and signal lights and cannot be adjusted up out of the way because of a rigid non-adjustable mount that only allows for mirror angle adjustment. The steering wheel column does pivot up and down but the wheel itself does not tilt, so it makes for uncomfortable driving if you're used to having one hand at the top of the wheel while driving. I imagine a smaller person wouldn't be bothered with the issues I mentioned, but since I'm 6'1" I tend to have to push the seat back all the way in most vehicles I drive. So far it's been a decent car, it gets a lot of looks and comments from strangers but even with the thought of moving up into the TDI package next time, I might wanna consider going with something more comfortable to drive.

Attached Thumbnails Chevy Cruze vs Volksy Jetta? Opinions?-212frwm.jpg  

Last edited by Blazer_4x4; 04-23-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Default .

Originally Posted by Blazer_4x4
I own the 2012 VW Jetta SE with the 5 cylinder 2.5L gas engine and 6 speed auto trans. It shares the same body style with all Jetta sedan models since 2011 to 2014. What I don't like about this body design is that it gives a terrible view out of the rear. The rear window is difficult to see out of with the rear headrests in the way and the height of the rear window makes it hard to see what's behind me. The roofline is so low that I have to lower the drivers seat to the floor as to keep from banging my head when getting in and out of the car. The placement of the rear view mirror that is attached to the windshield glass is always in the way and blocks my view of traffic and signal lights and cannot be adjusted up out of the way because of a rigid non-adjustable mount that only allows for mirror angle adjustment. The steering wheel column does pivot up and down but the wheel itself does not tilt, so it makes for uncomfortable driving if you're used to having one hand at the top of the wheel while driving. I imagine a smaller person wouldn't be bothered with the issues I mentioned, but since I'm 6'1" I tend to have to push the seat back all the way in most vehicles I drive. So far it's been a decent car, it gets a lot of looks and comments from strangers but even with the thought of moving up into the TDI package next time, I might wanna consider going with something more comfortable to drive.

Nice car! I really like the wheels. They "pop." And what is the technical color of your Volksy? I was looking at the same color, but don't know the proper name. When I goto the dealership, I'll look around in the car and see what I think based on your comments. And I've priced TDI's for the manufacturer's that make them. Right now, the Jetta, Passat, Golf, Beetle, and Chevy Cruze are about it since I don't want to grow another organ and sell it in order to buy a Mercedes or Beamer. The Jetta is by far the most reasonably priced TDI around. The issue I'm having is the reliability factor. I've heard mixed reviews on the reliability of Volkswagens. Not sure what to believe since this would be my first Volksy.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Starting Member
Blazer_4x4 is on a distinguished road

They call this Volkswagen Jetta Color Tempest Blue. It looks Awesome in the sunlight, but it's a bitch to keep clean, as bad as trying to keep a black car clean.

I don't really know about the dependability track record of the TDI, but as far as Volkswagen as a whole, I'd have to say that they've come a long way, this ain't your Grandads Volkswagen anymore lol, They're a whole different breed, on par with it's sister division Audi.

"VAG" Volkswagen Auto Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda brands and Volkswagen is also in the motorcycles market with the Ducati.

Happy car hunting

Attached Thumbnails Chevy Cruze vs Volksy Jetta? Opinions?-5fkn88.jpg  

Last edited by Blazer_4x4; 04-25-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:43 PM

Well... I guess I'm bringing this thread back from the ER with an update. I bought a Jetta about 2 weeks ago and have been fixing it up a little. It's an '03 Jetta TDI with the famous ALH engine in it. Went to the beach a week after I got it and averaged 52.7 mpg with my foot in it. I would imagine I could probably hit 60 mpg if I slowed down a little. Good car though. I went ahead and got the timing belt changed so I didn't have to worry about it breaking and damaging the heads or some other part of the engine. Darn interference diesel engines. And with this Jetta purchase, my Blazer might be finding a new home soon. It's in relatively good shape right now, but the bad mpg coupled with no pick up bed means I'm trying to sell it right now. I want to get a pick up later on but it'll be awhile.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

May I suggest a Chevy Blazer??...

Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tibby
I'm trying to sell it right now..

I was happy for you until I read this portion of your post and now I'm disappointed!

Quick Reply: Chevy Cruze vs Volksy Jetta? Opinions?