Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Compensation for damages.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Starting Member
Moores12345 is on a distinguished road
Default Compensation for damages.

Hey guys, just wrote up a document complaint to my town council on behalf of Betty.

My 98' 4DR, 4X4 Blazer.

I live on a dirt road. Which has holes and ripples and all sorts though out and on January 2nd I hit one of these holes and shattered the wheel bearings in the hub on the front driver side. Now on the 4X4 Blazers you can't just replace the bearings, the whole hub has to be replaced.

190 bucks taxes in with labour, no way in f*** I'm paying for it either. I'm going down tomorrow to see the mayor about it.

Pics of what I'm dealing with: (Taken with my BlackBerry Curve)

Just wanted to know if anyone has had to deal with stuff like this? I'll update when they get back to me too. I'm looking for the whole 190 bucks compensated for.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with that. We have MUCH worse roads around here. They can be safely traveled at moderate speeds. If that road caused your wheel bearing to 'shatter', you maybe were going a little fast for the condition of the road.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Starting Member

25km/hr.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

dont quote me but aren't dirt roads labeled as "drive at your own risk" kind of thing? in which case I don't see them doing anything for you.. unfortunately.

and if your wheel bearing shattered at 15mph it was destined to go anyways.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i don't think the "condition" of the road is the city's problem when it's an "unimproved surface". your city/state/providence/country may vary...

GL on the pursuit of compensation though.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

A city maintained road is a city maintained road.... if they're "drive at your own risk" then they had better put a sign up to say so IMO, dirt or not that road should be better maintained. That does look like a trouble spot though, probably a culvert underneath and with the constant freeze thaw that probably happens it just chews the road up.

Go demand compensation politely, don't be an ***-hat or you'll end up being told to go fly a kite. Those holes are quite nasty, don't let the water fool you, I'm sure that larger one in the middle is a deep f-er

Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Good luck with that. One of my brothers friends had a piece of concrete fall on his Camaro SS when he went under a underpass and they told him in short that he was **** out of luck and they weren't going to do anything.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Starting Member

Being polite is definitely the best way to go. Yes they are deep, and hit at the right angle they will cause your truck to break. There is no speed limit sign, no drive at your own risk sign, nothing. We've been after the town countless times about having graders come up and fix the road and they make it worse by using poor grade gravel. This is not the only damaged areas in the road either, farther up it's all ripples in the road. There are few to no roads that are gravel around here, ours is one of them. It's just neglect, and the city being slackers. They were actually thinking about putting in this big complex just up the road from us and spending a whole lot of money on it but it was denied because at the time there plenty of roads with no pavement.

It's not like falling apart and giving way or anything but it's annoying having to go up and down a road in 2011 that is all ripples, holes, and so on. If they cared at all about this road they would have fixed what few street lights they're are, put up a speed limit sign because they're are small children and it's famous for bikes and a.t.v's because of the dirt road. Plus their is a mountain path just farther up the road behind my place.

I've taken a lot of pictures, and am smart when it comes to putting forth a good argument. 200 bucks is nothing to the mayor of the town, but it's a lot to me. I'll fight it to the end.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I'd be very surprised to see this go anywhere. BUT...
stranger things are happening in NL...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
I'd be very surprised to see this go anywhere. BUT...
stranger things are happening in NL...
Moose are the leading killers here. All the province has to do on our highways is put up some fences, they can't even do that. Either that or just let everyone kill the moose population off. I'm not all for killing animals and whatever but when they're killing people everyday, somethings got to be done.

I have taken the right procedures and should be compensated for damages. If there was a sign that said "drive at your own risk", a street light that worked, maybe it wouldn't have happened. Don't see how the town isn't responsible for this neglect of our road. The very best answer I hear them coming up with is, well is it's your fault for hitting it or oh your trucks a 98' it's probably junk to begin with. Well if there wasn't craters in the road and it wasn't anything but a moose path than it wouldn't have happened. Truck has new front end parts and was checked throughout in September for inspection.

Quick Reply: Compensation for damages.