Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/)
-   -   darn 2.7 dodge motors! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/darn-2-7-dodge-motors-61431/)

chris015 07-25-2011 10:17 AM

darn 2.7 dodge motors!

Friends 81 y/o grandmother just purchased a intrepid. It has the dreaded 2.7 liter. She called me last night and said it was making a noise to come look at it. I got there and got her to start it up. Its got a faint rod knock which im not surprised at all. So now she doesnt have a reliable car and out 1500.00.

These engines are good motors, but they are a sludge demons. Once they start sludging up they blow. Ive had to help replace 6 of these in diff cars over the years,and if you look at craigslist you see these cars all day long "needs engine". Ridicules!!!

xgiovannix12 07-25-2011 11:07 AM

OMG i had to change a water pump in one of those what a pain

oh wait it was a 2.4 but there smiler i think

this was a 1998 dodge stratus

chris015 07-25-2011 12:25 PM

Ive had my fun with them. I just wish people knew more about them.

xgiovannix12 07-25-2011 12:49 PM

haha yea so much fun for me to remove that water pump i had to take the timing belt off and the pulleys for the timing belt . i just hate engines like that.

any ways the car is up and running after 2 hot days of work =P

swartlkk 07-25-2011 02:13 PM

For some reason, the longitudinal mounted 2.7L engines (as in the Intrepid) have a much larger issue with sludge than the transverse as used in the Stratus. Although my aunt & uncle have a 98 Intrepid with 275k miles on it as well as a newer Stratus with just over 100k miles. No issue on either, but I make sure they keep up on oil changes & use engine cleaners on the Intrepid.

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12 (Post 448400)
OMG i had to change a water pump in one of those what a pain

oh wait it was a 2.4 but there smiler i think

this was a 1998 dodge stratus

yup... Exactly the same... :icon_doh:

xgiovannix12 07-25-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 448429)
For some reason, the longitudinal mounted 2.7L engines (as in the Intrepid) have a much larger issue with sludge than the transverse as used in the Stratus. Although my aunt & uncle have a 98 Intrepid with 275k miles on it as well as a newer Stratus with just over 100k miles. No issue on either, but I make sure they keep up on oil changes & use engine cleaners on the Intrepid.
yup... Exactly the same... :icon_doh:

thought so plus remember kyle im only 18 im not a smarty like you =P

swartlkk 07-25-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12 (Post 448431)
thought so plus remember kyle im only 18 im not a smarty like you =P

Doesn't mean you have to put your foot in it every time you post. :icon_doh: Slow down a bit and actually give out relevant & accurate info instead of posting for the sake of seeing your count rise like you appear to be doing...:icon_shrug: There have been quite a few times when you have posted off the mark recommendations/replies which only served to confuse the OP. Just sayin'. :icon_couchhide:

xgiovannix12 07-25-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 448446)
Doesn't mean you have to put your foot in it every time you post. :icon_doh: Slow down a bit and actually give out relevant & accurate info instead of posting for the sake of seeing your count rise like you appear to be doing...:icon_shrug: There have been quite a few times when you have posted off the mark recommendations/replies which only served to confuse the OP. Just sayin'. :icon_couchhide:

yea your right i know :icon_couchhide:

kevlar974 07-26-2011 06:50 PM

I'm not familiar with this engine but I'm sure one of my family or friends will buy one and be calling me to work on it. Are they a Dodge design or a borrowed Mitsubishi product with a dodge valve cover?

chris015 07-28-2011 12:45 AM

Yes the 2.7 is a Mitsubishi engine. I think they come in the Intrepid, Concorde, and Sebring.