Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

darn 2.7 dodge motors!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default darn 2.7 dodge motors!

Friends 81 y/o grandmother just purchased a intrepid. It has the dreaded 2.7 liter. She called me last night and said it was making a noise to come look at it. I got there and got her to start it up. Its got a faint rod knock which im not surprised at all. So now she doesnt have a reliable car and out 1500.00.

These engines are good motors, but they are a sludge demons. Once they start sludging up they blow. Ive had to help replace 6 of these in diff cars over the years,and if you look at craigslist you see these cars all day long "needs engine". Ridicules!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

OMG i had to change a water pump in one of those what a pain

oh wait it was a 2.4 but there smiler i think

this was a 1998 dodge stratus

Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ive had my fun with them. I just wish people knew more about them.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

haha yea so much fun for me to remove that water pump i had to take the timing belt off and the pulleys for the timing belt . i just hate engines like that.

any ways the car is up and running after 2 hot days of work =P

Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason, the longitudinal mounted 2.7L engines (as in the Intrepid) have a much larger issue with sludge than the transverse as used in the Stratus. Although my aunt & uncle have a 98 Intrepid with 275k miles on it as well as a newer Stratus with just over 100k miles. No issue on either, but I make sure they keep up on oil changes & use engine cleaners on the Intrepid.
Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
OMG i had to change a water pump in one of those what a pain

oh wait it was a 2.4 but there smiler i think

this was a 1998 dodge stratus
yup... Exactly the same...

Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by swartlkk
For some reason, the longitudinal mounted 2.7L engines (as in the Intrepid) have a much larger issue with sludge than the transverse as used in the Stratus. Although my aunt & uncle have a 98 Intrepid with 275k miles on it as well as a newer Stratus with just over 100k miles. No issue on either, but I make sure they keep up on oil changes & use engine cleaners on the Intrepid.
yup... Exactly the same...

thought so plus remember kyle im only 18 im not a smarty like you =P

Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
thought so plus remember kyle im only 18 im not a smarty like you =P
Doesn't mean you have to put your foot in it every time you post. Slow down a bit and actually give out relevant & accurate info instead of posting for the sake of seeing your count rise like you appear to be doing... There have been quite a few times when you have posted off the mark recommendations/replies which only served to confuse the OP. Just sayin'.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Doesn't mean you have to put your foot in it every time you post. Slow down a bit and actually give out relevant & accurate info instead of posting for the sake of seeing your count rise like you appear to be doing... There have been quite a few times when you have posted off the mark recommendations/replies which only served to confuse the OP. Just sayin'.

yea your right i know

Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar with this engine but I'm sure one of my family or friends will buy one and be calling me to work on it. Are they a Dodge design or a borrowed Mitsubishi product with a dodge valve cover?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 AM
BF Veteran

Yes the 2.7 is a Mitsubishi engine. I think they come in the Intrepid, Concorde, and Sebring.

Quick Reply: darn 2.7 dodge motors!