Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Ditching cable...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ditching cable...

Looking to ditch cable here soon. Need input from those in the know. We have an HDTV, wireless, PS3, laptop. Most likely going with Hulu Plus. Any benefits to Roku or something similar?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I don't know anything about the two you listed but I have fios and I love it. Not sure where you are located (on my cell phone) or if its available near you but just thought is throw in my 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Just trying to get slim down our bill. $106 for cable and good internet right now. Internet is 35 of that. So internet plus Hulu+ and we're ahead of the game, just curious if anyone has a similar setup and is content or wants more, etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I hear that! Its rediculous how much these companies are charging for service these days.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I have pretty much the same setup as you and let me say hulu+ sucks. I switched back to netflix. Netflix has more content and is a little less money. Hulu+ says its 720p but I don't believe it, try the free version first the adds get very annoying and you still have the adds in the plus version. So you are paying for adds? WTF lol. Go with netflix, just my .02 cents.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
BF Veteran

Ya, we use regular Hulu now to catch up on shows and we don't really mind the commercials.

I've always heard that Hulu is good for TV shows and Netflix for movies. Not true anymore?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I will give that to Hulu, they do seem to have more full seasons of tv shows. If that's what you are mainly looking for then it will probably work well for you. I just couldn't get over the idea of paying for the plus subscription and still having adds.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I'm in Canada, and as far as I know I still can't get Hulu here, but we ditched our cable 2 years ago and the only time I regret it is during football season. I figure we save at least $50 per month by getting rid of cable. We get 4 HD OTA (over the air) broadcast channels for free with all the local content, including a decent amount of sports. We use Netflix for some movies and reruns of TV series, as well as kids cartoons.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

Just bought a Roku last week, like so far.
Netflix= ok
Hulu=ok
Using Plex to stream movies to TV, my cpu needs upgraded though.
Been using Pandora through the surround sound alot.

Last edited by Verno; 05-29-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

whats plex? just curious

Quick Reply: Ditching cable...