The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Dune/mud safety-what you should bring

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
For sand you will want to air down to like 15-20 psi.
stay the hell out of 4LO unless you really REALLY need it.
get yourself a tow strap.
carry a short shovel.
Strap down EVERY THING in the rear (coolr, subs, tool box etc) or put it all in a tuffbox and strap that down.
Snackies and wahwee.
a jerry can or 2 so you never end up as "that guy".
if you want to haul ***, get a motor cycle helmet with a neck donut (those sink holes at the base of the dune will sneak up on you).
If you get cheap/used M/T tires, double, then tripple check the side walls as you will be airing down and dont want your used dry-rotted s**t to screw you.
an air compressor (for afterwards).
a fire extinguisher is never handy when you need it. and if you have ever watched a kid weep while his Banshee burns to the frame, you will know why it's worth carring.
a gerneal understanding of the fact that sand will get every where. EVERY WHERE!!

as mentioned small tool kit, hi-lift, and hi-viz flag.

Also, if you dont want to swiss your stock box, and want to keep running the CAI for CDI factor (chicks dig it) look into a K&N pre-charger 9dust) or dry-charger (dust/water) filter sock.
i think ill just put the box in and swap the filter for a less restrictive one and leave all the k&n tubing in. yea the cai definetley increase cdi but i dont think she can replace my engine

Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned
Default Dune/mud safety-what you should bring

allright haven't seen a thread like this yet so if there already is one let me know.

im a big believer in you should have the tools and equipment with you for breakdowns on the dunes, road or the mud. i think its better to rely on yourself then someone all the time.

this is a basic kit i picked up at sears today for $50, its not to sophisticated but with some other tools should make a good kit to keep me safe and ready on the dunes/mud or the road. air compressor for airing up tires after airing down (not really that big of a compressor but i plan to carry at least 2 more), lights, pliars, jumper cables, 6-1 screwdriver, i also carry a 273 mechanic tools set.

*feel free to post what you think you should carry for safety (tools, what you carry in the blazer), add what you think would be good things and ideas too. pics are always a bonous

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 02-17-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

I believe in the very same thing. I have a first aid kit, basic tools(channel locks, screwdrivers, socket set, adj wrench, etc.), a mini-mag and a 3D maglite, gloves, and other stuff that seems useless until I actually need it. I have been meaning to add jumper cables and a tow strap to the collection but haven't gotten those yet.

I would suggest adding maybe some duct-tape and since im a firefighter id also suggest a small first aid kit.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I just strap my tool box in the back. It has almost all the tools I would need for repairs. I also bring my 3ton jack, mapp gas torch, rope, tow straps, air compressor, and a few other things that I cant think of.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you get serious, bring some u-joints w/ extra straps & bolts, extra locking hubs (or just grab a set of the splined pucks from the fulltime 4wd trucks to fully lock the front axle in), tie rod ends (never know when you might bust one on a rock especially if you haven't flipped the factory one yet).

A hi-lift is a must!

*Combining Threads because the OP can't keep track himself...*

Old 02-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If you get serious, bring some u-joints w/ extra straps & bolts, extra locking hubs (or just grab a set of the splined pucks from the fulltime 4wd trucks to fully lock the front axle in), tie rod ends (never know when you might bust one on a rock especially if you haven't flipped the factory one yet).

A hi-lift is a must!

*Combining Threads because the OP can't keep track himself...*

i'll have to get a hi lift!!

i looked it as an emergency stuff over vehicle preperation

fire extinguisher is a must

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 02-18-2010 at 05:22 PM.