Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Earth Hour 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Earth Hour 2009

Hey guys check it out.

On March 28, at 8:30 pm local time, one billion people will go dark for Earth Hour. World Wildlife Fund is asking individuals, businesses, governments and organizations around the world to turn off their lights to make a global statement of concern about climate change and to demonstrate commitment to finding solutions.

Already hundreds of icons and landmarks around the world have signed up to turn their lights off for Earth Hour 2009 including - the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Sydney Opera House, Acropolis and Parthenon in Athens and The London Eye, among many others.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 PM
calgsblaza is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm turning my lights on lol

Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

man made global warming is a lie. Im going to burn a 50 gal drum of plastic at 8:30.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

it was funny, i kinda knew i'd get this response. its not about global warming or tree huggers. Its more about overall awareness and that we all need to do our part. Take it or leave it.....

Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by PVT Pablo
Hey guys check it out.

World Wildlife Fund is asking individuals, businesses, governments and organizations around the world to turn off their lights to make a global statement...
A statement about what? And yes, global warming is climate change. The term climate change was only adopted after the complete lack of evidence than man was causing the average temperature of the earth to rise. And if doing your part is turning some light bulbs for 1 out of the 8760 hours in a year, then I'll leave it. If you're actually concerned about the 0.11% of CO2 that man actually produces, then you should go campaign for nuclear power plants and stop driving your blazer.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 PM

al gore left his lights on...whoops!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:01 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

WOW! little 'ol New Zealand saved 3% on electric bills.
This makes me so happy I could cry! LOL I agree with Taymakjack.

P.S. Yes we did turn our lghts off for an hour.

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 03-31-2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: add P.S.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM
lukejwise is on a distinguished road

Earth hour is just about as pointless as the day set aside to boycott gas. If a person had planned to do anything at 8:30 local time and still wanted to follow the Earth hour, they simply did it before hand and saved nearly no energy. Just as on the day you're supposed to boycott gas you either ignore it and fill your tank, or do so the day before or the day after.

Though the debate on global warming continues, my personal belief is that it goes both ways. Yes, it is a natural process. Yes, we are making it worse. The harsh reality of it is that it will continue like this for quite a while. Not many people are willing or even able to live like a member of an African tribe. A person needs heat. A person needs air. We need electricity. I drive 20 miles to work and 20 back home, you can't bike that. It'll take years and big bucks to make all of that possible without leaving a human footprint on the environment.

I don't think Al Gore is as right as he thinks he is on global warming though.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Beginning Member
BomBlazer is on a distinguished road

soooo... how many people turned your lights ON like I did? every light in our house.
one of my dad's friends burned some old tires at 8:30 that day.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I waited about an hour then I turned them all off for EIGHT hours, while I slept! But at 8:30, yup, I made sure they were all ON so the power surge at 9:30 wouldn't be quite so bad. I guess it didn't help, there were more problems experienced by the power companies when all of the people that fell for that crap turned their lights back on.

I have an idea that will lower the CO2 levels: Everybody stop breathing for 1 hour. Makes about as much sense as turning off the lights. When are the mindless sheep going to wake up? I know, I know, don't waste energy trying to confuse them with facts, their minds are made up already.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I saw that about Al Gore also, what a wing nut.

Quick Reply: Earth Hour 2009