Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Electric Vehicles... What would you want to see in the car of the future?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
michigan_engineering is on a distinguished road
Default Electric Vehicles... What would you want to see in the car of the future?

Hello everyone,
I am on an electric vehicle concept design team, and am interested in what everyone would like to see in a future electric vehicle?
Should Navigation systems and touch screen displays be standard?
Do you want the car to sound like its gas powered?
Interiour Luxury features?
Powertrain Specs (i.e. 0-60 times, hp...)

Just curious if anyone, if at all would be interested in such a vehicle. I know this is kind of broad, but it is input like yours that helps deliver an astonishing vehicle you may buy. Thanks =]

Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it should not sound like its gas powered; thats recockulous! Nav will become standard anyways, however my aftermarket setup of a 15" laptop blows all my buddies 6" nav screens away, so Im not a fan of the in built tiny navs.

The best electric car will pride itself on being electric; dont let it be a poser car, dont let it "pretend" its not electric!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:28 PM
michigan_engineering is on a distinguished road

Ok, thank you for the input!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:23 PM
calgsblaza is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope I never have to drive an electric car

Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
maximino is an unknown quantity at this point

totally agree with ugly monkey, so it's a yes to nav systems, interior luxury features and a no to making it sound like gas powered... but any chance of making a flying electric car, because that would be totally awesome...

Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I think the biggest thing with electric cars is range. You should be able to do 300+km on a charge. Some solar panels charging reserve Li Ion packs may be a good idea, or the dynamic braking we see on current hybrids (or whatever they call the braking system that charges up the batteries on the thing).

Old 07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

IMHO electric cars will never overtake internal combustion. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it. But the technology is not there to develop a car to go 300+ miles. or one that can overtake a semi truck. It might be fine for small commuters. A niche vehicle. But I believe hydrogen is the way to go. Less modifications needed to convert and the technology, though underdeveloped, already exists.

But is it really necessary to make electric vehicles so butt fugly as the options out there now? A little more appealing body style would be nice. And wouldn't it help wind resistance anyhow? Solar panel charging is a good idea. And slim-down models minus things like navs and that crap for economy models. Save on battery drain anyhow.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

go to google and search "White Zombie" and check that out... Electric vehicles CAN have power, I just find the range of the Chevy Volt a joke. And the Dodge/Lotus Circuit is too impractical to catch on IMO.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

EV's are only gonna be used as inner city fleet vehicles and people who think they are not polluting by utilizing electricity.
The only way the electric car will ever have a chance with the mainstream public is to be capable of traveling a long range and then be able to be recharged (or batt pack swapped out) quickly.
I would never buy an electric vehicle or even an electric hybrid because I wouldn't want to shell out big $$$ every few years for a new battery pack.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member
PyroCustoms is on a distinguished road

Use eletric vehicles for buses to reduce the smog and emissions in busy busy cities. smaller cars like the smart car can be eletric but as cage said internals the way to go. Eletric vehicles have been made to go preety quick an episode on the science channel. it had power and alot for only 5 mins. and the prius or other hybrid cars are half n half. start bringing out the concepts for all eletrics and we'll decide then

Quick Reply: Electric Vehicles... What would you want to see in the car of the future?