Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Fastest Car In Town...

  #1  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Grayson KY
Posts: 380
go chevy is on a distinguished road
Default Fastest Car In Town...

Every Saturday night, depending on weather of course, the younger crowd gathers at the local Dairy Queen/A&W store... There is a little AMC Hornet, not sure of the year of the car but it is the quickest little thing I personally have seen first hand... It smokes these new Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers ect... I live in a small town and there is not much to do lol so I guess the local police dept "kinda turn their head" with the kids hanging out I have never seen, heard or smelled any kind of drug or alcohol use by the kids so I guess that is why the police don't hassle them lol!!! Me and my wife get a milkshake and a chili cheese dog and park way off to the side and watch the youngsters lol and kinda relive our youth through them There is a road the town never finished right beside the parking lot that is less than a mile long and they drag race there lol... One way in and one way out so no chance of other traffic. Most of the time there is a cop sitting in the parking lot keeping an eye on things but never stops them from "having fun" They don't play their music super loud, no fights of any kind, no littering either! Just well behaved kids just hanging out blowing off steam on a Saturday night... In fact, the last time we were there eating in the Blazer the officer pulled up beside me and asked "they bothering you folks enjoying your meal? We said no, we enjoy feeling young again"... He smiled and said "me 2, funny how time slips right by us and we wake up one day all grown up"... The kids are there from like 6pm to like 10pm... I have actually seen some of them picking up trash that other people left in the parking lot... Anyway, that Hornet is super fast It hasn't been beat as far as I know... Gotta love a small town lol!!!
 
  #2  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM
cleburne red's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,110
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default

Had something similar when I was in high school. It was the local tractor supply parking lot lol. The worst thing that went down was underage tobacco use. That's where I smoked my first cigarette!
 
  #3  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:37 PM
blazen_red_4x4's Avatar
Super Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 1,341
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default

This was basically my crowd when I was 18-20 years young Granted I'm only 32 now, some would say that wasn't that long ago and I'm still young, lol, even though I don't feel like it... I had an 82 Monte Carlo that my father and I built a 350 for, wasn't super "fast" by any means, handled like a yacht, but was loud and would blow the tires off, lol. I would pull up amongst classic muscle, new muscle, lifted 4x4's, slammed mini trucks, the rice burners, you could find it all there. I could pull up and find friends and people I didn't know, hop out, pop the hood, and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger, talking about my car or theirs. Was never any fights, no drugs or alcohol involved, just car guys hanging out, talking about cars. Not far away there was a long since abandoned air strip with some stretches of road that surrounded it, some curvy parts, some straight parts, some smooth parts, some rough parts. When the smack talk started to get thrown around, we'd all load up and head to the strip and two or more guys (or gals) would put their money where their mouth was, although there was never any real money involved (that I ever saw any way), it was all purely for bragging rights To my knowledge, there were never any wrecks or injuries, had a few guys bump into each other in the parking lot just moving around sometimes, leaving a little scratch or dent, lol, but nothing crazy. The police never bothered us, we never really gave them a reason to (accept maybe those occasional races around the air strip lol), in fact on more than one instance we had one come hang out with us for a while, most likely just "checking things out", but inevitably striking up conversations about cars too and almost becoming part of the crowd. Although it was only a little over 10 years ago, it was definitely more simple times, but I feel it was a lot about the town and area. You wouldn't find a crowd like that where I live now. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was still a crowd in the old town still carrying on the tradition. At least I can only hope


When I got rid of the Monte Carlo I got my first 4x4, a 91 Toyota Pickup. Started hanging out in the woods more instead of sticking with that crown. The woods crowd was wasn't the same people though... Things started getting out of hand and I just stopped going out there, and my 4x4 became a street queen...

Now that I'm a little older and have my 4x4 Blazer, I find myself more interested in just heading off into the woods one weekend with the wife and just riding the trails. Either just us or with a friend in another 4x4
 

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 03-15-2019 at 12:40 PM.
  #4  
Old 03-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 392
Tom A is on a distinguished road
Default

When I was much younger, I built myself a Vega (remember those?) with a big block that ran in the 9.80s at the dragstrip. Unfortunately, it wasn't street legal. So I didn't get to have any street racing fun.
 
  #5  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Grayson KY
Posts: 380
go chevy is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4 View Post
This was basically my crowd when I was 18-20 years young Granted I'm only 32 now, some would say that wasn't that long ago and I'm still young, lol, even though I don't feel like it... I had an 82 Monte Carlo that my father and I built a 350 for, wasn't super "fast" by any means, handled like a yacht, but was loud and would blow the tires off, lol. I would pull up amongst classic muscle, new muscle, lifted 4x4's, slammed mini trucks, the rice burners, you could find it all there. I could pull up and find friends and people I didn't know, hop out, pop the hood, and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger, talking about my car or theirs. Was never any fights, no drugs or alcohol involved, just car guys hanging out, talking about cars. Not far away there was a long since abandoned air strip with some stretches of road that surrounded it, some curvy parts, some straight parts, some smooth parts, some rough parts. When the smack talk started to get thrown around, we'd all load up and head to the strip and two or more guys (or gals) would put their money where their mouth was, although there was never any real money involved (that I ever saw any way), it was all purely for bragging rights To my knowledge, there were never any wrecks or injuries, had a few guys bump into each other in the parking lot just moving around sometimes, leaving a little scratch or dent, lol, but nothing crazy. The police never bothered us, we never really gave them a reason to (accept maybe those occasional races around the air strip lol), in fact on more than one instance we had one come hang out with us for a while, most likely just "checking things out", but inevitably striking up conversations about cars too and almost becoming part of the crowd. Although it was only a little over 10 years ago, it was definitely more simple times, but I feel it was a lot about the town and area. You wouldn't find a crowd like that where I live now. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was still a crowd in the old town still carrying on the tradition. At least I can only hope


When I got rid of the Monte Carlo I got my first 4x4, a 91 Toyota Pickup. Started hanging out in the woods more instead of sticking with that crown. The woods crowd was wasn't the same people though... Things started getting out of hand and I just stopped going out there, and my 4x4 became a street queen...

Now that I'm a little older and have my 4x4 Blazer, I find myself more interested in just heading off into the woods one weekend with the wife and just riding the trails. Either just us or with a friend in another 4x4
I know, right? Kinda takes us back when you could like catch your breath..... Now it is paying bills and all these responsibilities that are there each and every month! Makes me think every time what that police officer said, "wake up one day and you are all grown up"..... Time is one thing none of us will ever get back, rich or poor, no matter...
 
  #6  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Grayson KY
Posts: 380
go chevy is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
When I was much younger, I built myself a Vega (remember those?) with a big block that ran in the 9.80s at the dragstrip. Unfortunately, it wasn't street legal. So I didn't get to have any street racing fun.
My brother built up a Vega... Had a 305 V8 and was stupidly fast lol... I was never a fan of the 305, give me a 350 any day but that little sucker was quick
 
  #7  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Grayson KY
Posts: 380
go chevy is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by cleburne red View Post
Had something similar when I was in high school. It was the local tractor supply parking lot lol. The worst thing that went down was underage tobacco use. That's where I smoked my first cigarette!
Oh nooooo, not an underage smoker Under age, over age, it is all bad lol.....I smoke and it sucks lol!
 
  #8  
Old 03-15-2019, 03:31 PM
cleburne red's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,110
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally Posted by go chevy View Post
Oh nooooo, not an underage smoker Under age, over age, it is all bad lol.....I smoke and it sucks lol!
Eh, I quit years ago. Glad my old lady made me when we got married lol

Been dip free since Dec 21st, also, hope I can stick to it this time!
 
  #9  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM
odat's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: wyoming
Posts: 920
odat is on a distinguished road
Default

For me small town USA in the mid 70s was dragging main on a Friday and Saturday night and for Racing a mile outta town was a road fondly named beer can alley by the kids... Now A'days Friday and Saturday nights you could roll up main street as there Ain't car to be seen.

Originally Posted by go chevy View Post
My brother built up a Vega... Had a 305 V8 and was stupidly fast lol... I was never a fan of the 305, give me a 350 any day but that little sucker was quick
AHH the Vega's when the Teflon coated cylinders wore out before their time because of a dirty air cleaner and then they used more oil than gas. And yes I had a couple of them too - both as a 4 cylinder and with them proudly sporting a 327 with a 4BBL and punched 30 thousand over under the hood

[QUOTE=cleburne red;705205]Eh, I quit years ago. Been dip free since Dec 21st.

40 year smoking habit quit cold turkey 40+ days ago so luck too you also .....
 

Last edited by odat; 03-15-2019 at 08:08 PM.
  #10  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 392
Tom A is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by go chevy View Post
My brother built up a Vega... Had a 305 V8 and was stupidly fast lol... I was never a fan of the 305, give me a 350 any day but that little sucker was quick
Then I'm sure you can imagine what it was like to drive one with a big block.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fastest Car In Town...


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.