Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Foreign Territory: Need help with a Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Starting Member
megaroos_00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign Territory: Need help with a Dodge

So my Mom recently got a 01 Dodge Stratus and noticed that when she goes to turn off the vehicle, the key won't return to the normal starting position(aka back to the line). This in turn causes the oil light to stay on and the mileage to remain lit. We cannot get the key to return. I'm thinking this may be a lock cylinder that's bad, but I'm unsure. She doesn't have any issues with starting the car and the key comes out just fine. Any thoughts?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a bad lock cylinder...... Is it a manual trans? If so it might have one of those goofy buttons or levers you have to push to return the key to the "off" or "lock" positon (and to remove it) and could be a combination bad tumbler (allowing the key to be removed before the off/lock position) and not having pressed the button allowing the key to return to that position.

If not i'd just guess faulty ignition cylinder and or faulty steering lock maybe.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Starting Member

No, it's an auto. When it first happened, if you pressed the brake for some reason it would go back and be fine. Now, no matter what, that lil' thing just won't budge. I'm wondering if this would be a costly fix or less than maybe $150?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

sounds like the cylinder to me man i hate working on the stratus there so pain in the caboose

Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Wait a min......try jiggling the gear shift in park. see if it turns all the way back to where it's supposed to be while you're farting with it. I know there's a lock of some sort attatched to the shift lever that prevents you from removing the key with it in gear.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

good idea ^^

Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Starting Member

Hmm.. thanks, I'll have her try that. This stratus has already been a pain in the butt, but with little things like windows and wipers not returning to their resting position. She had to replace the battery the other day and the poor AAA guy had to go thru the wheel well. Makes me appreciate the ease of my blazer more and more.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 PM
BF Guru

wait till you need the change the water pump

I did it on a friends daughters car we had to remove the timing belt , tire , motor pulleys i dont remember what else but it took us 2 days

i dont wanna see what you have to do to replace the starter ........

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member
Xb-lineblazerX is on a distinguished road

sounds to me like your issue is that it's a dodge...

Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 PM
BF Guru

haha yes ^^

Quick Reply: Foreign Territory: Need help with a Dodge