Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Gasoline regular or super

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 AM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gasoline regular or super

Anyone use Super(93) over Regular(89) gas ? Notice any differences ? except price !!! better performance, mileage, etc? Anyone want to voice there opinion on this topic ?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Gasoline regular or super

Well... Here is a quick search because I know I have gone through this before CLICK HERE < term = "octane" author = "swartlkk"

Some threads of interest:
high octane fuel - I noticed a calculation error in my post so I corrected it.
Gas Octane Ratings

Then there are others in the link at the top.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

I run top level Shell or BP branded Gasoline in my rig and 93 octane - it's the ONLY way I get 20 mpg.I got the Blazer last year and it hed been a pump 87 car and through tuning it, I was told to reset the computer and I would see more of the effects than if I didn't.

Man, was he right. From 13~14 mpg @ 87 octane to 19~21 mpg @ 93 octane, with just MSD ignition, Flowmaster 40 series, K&N air filter. Thetruck runs smoother and a WHOLE LOT faster and stronger than it ever did!

I was told by a chemical engineer friend that it's the additional additives in that grade specifically, that keep the engine cleaner -valves and what not.

All I can tell you is I'll never run 87 in the truck

Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please run a comparison test between the grades. There may be other things at work (buildup in your combustion chambers, improper heat range spark plug, etc) that is causing detonation with lower octane fuels. If so, running higher octane fuel will help that and be more efficient because of those conditions.

You need to look at the $$/mile to know which is the most cost efficient fuel to run. As I have said in my response to other threads on this exact topic, every engine is different. To blindly move to 93 octane without proper comparison testing may be wasting your money. If you can afford it and like the performance, by all means, go ahead, but until you verify the $$/mile differences, you will not know if you are pissing money away or not.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Hahah oh dear not this again...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i actually just ran a few tanks of 93. I noticed a good performance improvement along with 2mpg better. But after i ran a few tanks it seems like the mpg went back to what they were with 89. Still has better performance but the same millage. I will test it again in the spring cause i think the temperature change may be a big factor. Im currently running 89 again since there isnt any benefits except performance which i dont need in the snow.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

This is very simple. Read your owner's manual and see what octane your engine is designed for.

Unless you do a tune, there really is no benefit from running anything higher than 87. The seat of the pants dynometer is not the most accurate test out there.

As a side note, I had a 67 Mustang that the owner's manual recommended to use no lower than 98 octane. Try finding that around today...lol

Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 AM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to run nothing but 89 octane with 10% ethanol. In Iowa, it is $.10 cheaper per gallon.

Then I started putting in 87 octane unleaded with NO ethanol.

Whaaaaam! My mileage has increased 10% or better. I have been running the 87 now for 3 months with the same increase. That far offset the money difference (3-5%) between the two levels of gas.